Rear Bumper lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamIAm

Reaction score
So I’ve heard a few different theory’s and need to know the truth so I don’t waste my time , and I don’t cut wires for no reason, I want to add 2 radiance red backlights to my rear bumper, where and how do I splice into the lighting, I hear if I use the trailer wiring, that my truck will act as if I have a trailer hooked up, and if I link into a rear light that I will pull to much power away from the one break light , I have also been told if I use a resistor or relay, I can then tie into a break light. What have you guys done and know what works!!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Didn't I answer this in the other thread?

Your truck will think you have a trailer hooked up if you tap into the brake lights. Thanks to that lovely BLIS system and trailer system, the circuitry is monitored by the computer in the truck. It'll sense extra resistance by tapping into the brake line and think it has a trailer hooked up.

What you could do however is tap into the circuit elsewhere and use a relay. This way your not giving the computer a load and the relays will handle the job of providing power to the lights.

GJ Motorsports kind of does this with their system. They use a module to turn the left and right S2 lights on, to act as blinkers, in their 3rd brake light kit. Same idea basically only you'd want to tp into the circuit elsewhere (up by the BCM cables is where i'd do it).