Real world experience with your warranty and mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrT

Reaction score
I am having second thoughts about modding my new to me 2019 SCAB. The truck has 26k miles and I had planned on buying a esp extended warranty. I just bought it a few weeks ago and had a plan...I have ordered Eibach springs, Deaver +3's, Wheels and 37's. I know this is a fine time to be getting cold feet but I don't want a fight or flat out denial if I need something major repaired under warranty. I do not plan on a tune.
I have always modified my vehicles but I have been the one doing the work, repairs etc. I am hesistant because of the potential high expense items engine/trans mainly.
I would like to hear from anyone denied warranty work due to modifications you have done. What was the mod, what was the reason given? Opinions on getting the engine or transmission fixed under warranty if I am running 37's?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspension and wheels shouldn’t affect powertrain. I guess the 37’s could affect the transmission but there aren’t a lot of 10 speeds with mechanical failures that I know of.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't mod vehicles that are under warranty. You can do as you like, depending on your risk tolerance. I wouldn't expect new springs to cause an issue with anything other than steering/front end components. 37s ... kinda depends on your dealer. I wouldn't worry about a tolerant one. A tight-***? Dunno.

Edit to add: Gotta know. Is asset OK? Tightass without the hyphen? I assume assume is OK, but let's see. Assassin? That one kills me. Cheers

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Opinions on getting the engine or transmission fixed under warranty if I am running 37's?
Mixed at best. I know at least 1 instance on here where 37’s, and the required lift compromised the warranty and of course there’s Helio/keep it dirty, who is just outright abusive. You can thank clowns like him for the rest of us having to dot every i and cross every t when it comes to just how much leeway there is.

You do have to keep in mind that with 37’s you are adding weight and increasing the load on -every- drive train component, whether it’s only .5% or 15% or whatever the number actually is. That’s engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials, drive shaft, cv boots/joints - all of it.

You haven’t gone into the truck’s use case, but, if you’re concerned enough to drop 2 large or more on a factory ESP, chances are you’re needing to ensure it runs when you need it, meaning at least some routine use and not a complete toy. Every consumer has a break over point at which they can afford do absorb repair costs, vs. their recreational use of the vehicle. In other words, is the risk of expensive out of pocket repair worth the fun factor for what you’re getting?

What are 37’s going to do for you and your truck that your current setup isn’t able to handle adequately? Or, is this just a cosmetic mod or BFYTW mod? All perfectly good reasons, but things to consider in making your decision.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it says a lot that you're talking about canceling your mods rather than canceling your ESP. Sounds like your ESP isn't negotiable, but the mods are.

if you have a relationship with your dealer, and you're looking to be completely honest about the whole thing, then I might have this discussion with them about it. They should have a pretty good idea of what risks you're taking with the mods, what problems if any they have seen before that would have denied warranty.

My personal opinion, I don't do extended warranties. I'm not that rough on my vehicles in general, and I also don't want to make the decision you're making right now. I want to be able to do the mods I want without worrying about whether I'm negating the warranty paid for.

OP
OP
MrT

MrT

Reaction score
It's a tough spot. I enjoy modding my vehicles but I generally don't keep them long. I am hoping to keep the Raptor long term which is why I am wanting the esp. I am 53 and have never purchased an extended warranty and I also treat me vehicles pretty well. Having said that It would be nice to let someone else do any work needed for awhile.
I think visiting my local dealerships and talking to them may be my best bet. I posted because I imagine there are a few people in a similar situation and knowing about a few instances where people were denied may help.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of warranty, my 2017 Raptor 102500 miles just got the TSB cam phaser fix approximately 1.5 months ago. Noticed a wet spot on my black mat in the garage I park over. Upon inspection I realized it has been leaking for a while. Crawled under and saw drips everywhere.:rolleyes: Took it to the dealer and they said the oil pan was leaking, front engine cover leaking, and front axel was leaking. ***:banghead:. I wanted to hold out until the Bronco Raptor comes out, but this sheeesh I'm about ready to let her go.:emotions133:

Lags

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re going to get so many personal experiences with this thought, which are subjective at best. However, I’ll add my “personal” experiences.

My local dealership is an extremely mod friendly dealership, and does everything they can to get things covered under warranty even if mods “could” have played a part in the issue.

The owner of the dealership, the service manager, and nearly half of all employees have extremely modified vehicles: Mustangs, deleted Diesels, Gen 1 and Ge2 Raptors, the list goes on.

So… long story long, I have had warranty issues, recalls, repairs, and multiple services covered on several modified vehicles including emissions deleted vehicles. The dealership rocks, bottom line.

If you have a knit picky dealership that operates by the book only, and refuses to look beyond and think for themselves, then you may want to second guess your mods.

BUGGOUT

Reaction score
I am having second thoughts about modding my new to me 2019 SCAB. The truck has 26k miles and I had planned on buying a esp extended warranty. I just bought it a few weeks ago and had a plan...I have ordered Eibach springs, Deaver +3's, Wheels and 37's. I know this is a fine time to be getting cold feet but I don't want a fight or flat out denial if I need something major repaired under warranty. I do not plan on a tune.
I have always modified my vehicles but I have been the one doing the work, repairs etc. I am hesistant because of the potential high expense items engine/trans mainly.
I would like to hear from anyone denied warranty work due to modifications you have done. What was the mod, what was the reason given? Opinions on getting the engine or transmission fixed under warranty if I am running 37's?
I have several mods, and an extended warranty, zero issues or push back from the dealer on many occasions.