Raptor w/ecoboost MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said. The same ones bitch about the fuel economy of their 6000 pound trucks and engage in fantasy truck design games to somehow compensate, I suppose.

pretty sure your point of if you can afford the truck you can pay for the fuel is common sense and has been proven. i couldnt justify the additional cost of the truck up front (im D-plan and raptor has no D-plan) so i went with an fx4 instead. could i afford a raptor and stomach the fuel bill? yes. do i think it would make me more of a hardass? no. i went the more practical route. I will probably end up doing gears to compensate for the difference and not flinch about that extra cost. i think an fx4 ecoboost will work for what im doing. i dont technically need a raptor along with many on here. do what works best for you, and if you want to bitch about MPGs do it. If you dont want to read it, open another thread!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
454ceecc-f2bc-5a1f.jpg

Just make sure you have your granny ******* on!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Linexsa - I'm interested in the dollar summation of your FX4 plus mods. I'm thinking that the figure might be mighty educational.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Linexsa - I'm interested in the dollar summation of your FX4 plus mods. I'm thinking that the figure might be mighty educational.

well, the truck lists for 47K, i get it for 41K minus any rebates, which last december were $3500 for the new model year. who knows what they will actually be this year. so for all intents and purposes figure $37,500. that is 12-15K less than a raptor. If i can add the 4.10 gears (if its not too late, i dont know, i havent gotten a VIN yet, so it may still be early enough) it will add $1500 to the retail sticker. if not, if i have to do it in house it will cost me about $1500 to do gears front and rear after labor etc. maybe less.

I love raptors, and would like to have one very bad, but i just cant justify using it as a shop truck, and any mileage savings by going with the eb will make up for it.

its funny how a guy that hates mileage threads so much is down to play in them.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only arguement is that I think the eco boost is for a more narrow customer base, I think most should stick to the v8 or wait till they ECO the 5.0

Why do you feel the 3.5 EB is a more narrow customer base? Because the numbers certainly don't lie and 45% of Ford F-150 Sales for 2011 have been the 3.5 Ecoboost. It actually fits a wider customer base because it reaches the needs for guys who need towing capacity, still want good power, and who don't want to get killed at the pump. V6 sales outnumber V8's when you look at the 3.7 V6 and 3.5 EB V6 compared to the 5.0 V8 and 6.2 V8. If anything the 6.2 is a narrower customer base than any. It only appeals to the guys who want the slightly better power than the 3.5 EB, identical towing capacity, and don't mind the crappy mileage. With the advantages the 3.5 EB has to offer, I really don't see a strong arguement on why most should stick to a V8 other than to say they have a V8. And I highly doubt you'll ever see an ecoboost 5.0. I'd be willing to bet you see the 6.2 killed off and the 5.8 from the 2013 GT500 hit the trucks in N/A form as it's replacement.

pretty sure your point of if you can afford the truck you can pay for the fuel is common sense and has been proven. i couldnt justify the additional cost of the truck up front (im D-plan and raptor has no D-plan) so i went with an fx4 instead. could i afford a raptor and stomach the fuel bill? yes. do i think it would make me more of a hardass? no. i went the more practical route. I will probably end up doing gears to compensate for the difference and not flinch about that extra cost. i think an fx4 ecoboost will work for what im doing. i dont technically need a raptor along with many on here. do what works best for you, and if you want to bitch about MPGs do it. If you dont want to read it, open another thread!

Another one of those arguements I can't stand "if you can afford the truck you can afford the gas". Yeah I can afford the truck and the gas, but I can afford a lot more chit with my money rather than dumping it on gasoline! Who wouldn't rather get another 5 mpg with no power/towing sacrafices? Thats free mod money if you want to look at it that way!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you feel the 3.5 EB is a more narrow customer base? Because the numbers certainly don't lie and 45% of Ford F-150 Sales for 2011 have been the 3.5 Ecoboost. It actually fits a wider customer base because it reaches the needs for guys who need towing capacity, still want good power, and who don't want to get killed at the pump. V6 sales outnumber V8's when you look at the 3.7 V6 and 3.5 EB V6 compared to the 5.0 V8 and 6.2 V8. If anything the 6.2 is a narrower customer base than any. It only appeals to the guys who want the slightly better power than the 3.5 EB, identical towing capacity, and don't mind the crappy mileage. With the advantages the 3.5 EB has to offer, I really don't see a strong arguement on why most should stick to a V8 other than to say they have a V8. And I highly doubt you'll ever see an ecoboost 5.0. I'd be willing to bet you see the 6.2 killed off and the 5.8 from the 2013 GT500 hit the trucks in N/A form as it's replacement.

Another one of those arguements I can't stand "if you can afford the truck you can afford the gas". Yeah I can afford the truck and the gas, but I can afford a lot more chit with my money rather than dumping it on gasoline! Who wouldn't rather get another 5 mpg with no power/towing sacrafices? Thats free mod money if you want to look at it that way!

And Ford has ramped up the production on the EB now.. and the ROS on the F series is above 30% so they have hit a homerun with the EB for sure
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111014/OEM/111019908/1261

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Linexsa, I paid $41K for my Raptor. Options were modest - only the rear camera, trailor brake controler, and tailgate step. Having closed that deal I went to several places on-line and discovered that I could have probably gotten it for $500 less. This is for a 2011 Raptor Supercab purchased late last year in southern middle Tennesse, with delivery this past January.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Depending on what part of the region you are from yes V6's outsell. I stand corrected when I say the V6 is narrow. The ecoboost has only started and Ford has only begun with these GTDI engines. GM is trying to follow in there footsteps. Some of Ford's latest engines are already preset up to become DI with minimal engineering changes and the 5.0 is one of them. I guess only time will tell if Ford releases it or not.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Linexsa, I paid $41K for my Raptor. Options were modest - only the rear camera, trailor brake controler, and tailgate step. Having closed that deal I went to several places on-line and discovered that I could have probably gotten it for $500 less. This is for a 2011 Raptor Supercab purchased late last year in southern middle Tennesse, with delivery this past January.

That's a good deal my friend. The crew I want with the same options I ordered on the fx4 stickers at 53 and invoices at about 49