Raptor Top Speed Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got back Friday from a 3 day 1550 mile trip to the ranch in NM then up to Santa Fe to testify in a OCD Hearing about a SWD (SWD 380) well illegally permitted then back home. Anyway---on flat and level before I ran out of time and oncoming traffic prevented me from letting it run higher made it to 130 GPS verified.

My truck is stock save for top perch, 5 star programmer, CAI, exhaust mod, RPG National HD springs, larger finned tranny pan, all Amsoil fluids and 37 in Geolander II tires with 18in wheels. The headwind was about 290 degrees at 15mph. Was still gaining a little and smooth as glass on this smooth road before shut down. Tranny temp during the whole trip never got over 210 even during this high speed run. Most of the time sat between 195 and 197 except when going up the long grades in the mountains approaching Santa Fe.

MPG average was 13.1

whataboutbob

Reaction score
wow, nice mark. you never upgraded your drive shaft? I thought it was only rated at 110. thats what scares me about taking the limiter off my truck.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The speed was over 100 for less than 2 minutes at the most. Still you have a valid point and I knew I was at risk---could have done it again however one has to weigh risk vs reward and I was a long way from home lol..

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thing with the driveshaft it does not take a lot to throw it out of balance and weaken it. Not trying to be chicken little.. Look at the beating the shock guards and rear shocks take from blasting from front tires. I would bet the driveshaft is getting a taste of that abuse too. It would only take a rock hitting it to cause a dent or weak spot..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good mileage for that trip.

Included the ranch driving as well. Filled up in Santa Fe and heading towards Texas going downhill for the most part got almost 18mpg lol for about 60 miles. Then it went to hell when the wind started in the flat areas later in the am!

SterlingE55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Included the ranch driving as well. Filled up in Santa Fe and heading towards Texas going downhill for the most part got almost 18mpg lol for about 60 miles. Then it went to hell when the wind started in the flat areas later in the am!

The wind is such a killer for MPG's in these trucks. I get a full MPG less driving out to Midland than I do in town. It's annoying. Makes me wonder if a light weight 37 would be worth the ratio change. Had a 5.0l Screw rental last week in Midland and at 80 it barely hit 2000rpm and it got 16mpg in the wind. Haha it was painful to drive though. Really makes you appreciate the Raptor. But seriously we need a 7th gear.

OP
OP
Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The wind is such a killer for MPG's in these trucks. I get a full MPG less driving out to Midland than I do in town. It's annoying. Makes me wonder if a light weight 37 would be worth the ratio change. Had a 5.0l Screw rental last week in Midland and at 80 it barely hit 2000rpm and it got 16mpg in the wind. Haha it was painful to drive though. Really makes you appreciate the Raptor. But seriously we need a 7th gear.

Well the issue is not the gearing so much as it is like pushing a brick through the air lol.. Between 60 and 75 I lose 2.5 mpg..