Raptor Too Wide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad dino

Reaction score
OK I really don't know jack about 4WD vehicles but I'm getting into the game and considering the Raptor and Wranger. I'm partial to the Raptor but the auto reviews are saying the Raptor is too wide for narrow trails. I live in NorCal and am curious if anyone else in this area or otherwise has had many issues with the width of this vehicle? Is this a real issue?

I realize this depends on what kind of trails you like - but I don't really know what I like. Don't imagine I'll be doing really tight, rock crawling, kind of stuff though. If I can walk it faster than I can drive it, I'll walk it.

If you've seen the book, I'm reading "California Backroads" by Charles Wells and wondering, for example, how many of his "moderate" routes would be accessible with the Raptor?

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welccome to FRF!!

A jeep or a Raptor?? RAPTOR

If you can't go in a Raptor, DON'T GO.................... :waytogo:

randy

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bad dino said:
OK I really don't know jack about 4WD vehicles but I'm getting into the game and considering the Raptor and Wranger. I'm partial to the Raptor but the auto reviews are saying the Raptor is too wide for narrow trails. I live in NorCal and am curious if anyone else in this area or otherwise has had many issues with the width of this vehicle? Is this a real issue?

I realize this depends on what kind of trails you like - but I don't really know what I like. Don't imagine I'll be doing really tight, rock crawling, kind of stuff though. If I can walk it faster than I can drive it, I'll walk it.

If you've seen the book, I'm reading "California Backroads" by Charles Wells and wondering, for example, how many of his "moderate" routes would be accessible with the Raptor?

When talking about width, remember whether wrangler or raptor the sides of the truck will get scratched. There are many advantages that a wrangler has compared to a raptor when crawling or trial driving. I've driven all types of jeep only trails and have never gotten stuck compared to jeeps on 37s.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad dino said:

I'm from NorCal originally. For some of the tighter trails, the Raptor would be too much. But that's if u plan on hittin the Rubicon or something similar. A majority of the wheelin I did in the mountains was in a Bronco. And even then, I had ample room. That would exclude hard core rock crawling though. Most other trails are fairly accessible. The biggest issue is getting turned around. That's where a short wheelbase would really come in handy. Considering it's it first 4wd vehicle, get something you won't mind gettin dings and scratches in. My Bronco had plenty. But you could always just find a fire road and go smashing' down that for fun. Just watch out for the steep hills. Plus, I've watched tricked out Jeeps be forced to winch themselves out of spots that my Bronco just blazed its own trail to get out of. The Raptor is more capable of a vehicle than a Bronco is. The choice is yours, but you'll never regret gettin a Raptor. If you get that Jeep, you'll just wonder "what if...?", but w the Raptor, you won't think twice

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Just as big of a consideration would be length of the vehicle. I used to live in the Seattle area and my stubby CJ5 was a godsend in a lot of the very tight trails up there. A long wheelbase was asking for trouble - of course, other places a longer wheelbase benefits you. I would think a Raptor would be much more problematic in tight trails - a Jeep would have the upper hand there. I'm not saying a Raptor can't do it though.

That being said, I still vote Raptor - though I prefer to have both. :crazy:

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I just scratched my truck some on some back trails. Stuff I had to go through because I couldn't back out and there wan't a turn around point

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a lifted jeep jk before and would not go back !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus