Raptor production life span

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the special vehicles that Ford has built have come and gone, Mustang SVO, Cobras, Lightnings, to name a few and a slew of others. How long do you guys think the Raptor will be in production before Ford gets bored with them and pulls the plug on the production of our beloved Raptors?:frown:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The SVT Lightning had two generations. The first was 1993-1995 and the 2nd generation was 1999-2004.

That said, I don't think it's any indication of what the Raptor's life will be. They could kill it after 2-3 years or, now that they know "the formula" for making these modified F-150's, they could keep it as part of their truck product line. It will be interesting to see what big pickups do going forward. I suspect that they'll mostly die off and become "work trucks" due to the increased demands for fuel economy imposed by the federal government (CAFE standards). Should that happen the Raptor could live on through the Ranger and Explorer.

I'm guessing we'll see 2 years for sure and probably 3 without any problem. After that I think it's thin ice for the Raptor as we know it (full-size).

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well as mentioned above there is no telling but I'm going to guess around 4-5yrs. I'm also thinking Ford will delete the 5.4L and replace it with the 5.0 leaving the 6.2L as an optional motor.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to restart my "what is the point of the 6.2 post?" *g*

While I think it is possible that the Raptor could get the 5.0, I think it is more likely that it will not, as the 5.0 will be too close in performance to the 6.2 (just an opinion)...

Given my reaserch on the ED motor I think that a tuned verion would be a much better match for the Raptor...

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I think it is possible that the Raptor could get the 5.0, I think it is more likely that it will not, as the 5.0 will be too close in performance to the 6.2 (just an opinion)...

You're right,

I just think Ford is looking to phase out the 5.4L here pretty soon...not that I think they should.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to restart my "what is the point of the 6.2 post?" *g*
AGAIN Frogman... it ****** me OFF that ... SOMEONE (to be nice and not mention esad's name... because WE are NON-Bashers here at the BEST Raptor forum) deleted all our threads. That was a great thread. Bummer.

Falcon

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think what will eventually kill it is the fact that it is a near $50K specialty truck that has the DNA of a desert runner. To date there is not a crew cab version. If the fuel economy for the 6.2, that has yet to be seen in the wild, is anywhere near as bad as has been stated then I think it will be a hard sell when oil goes over $100/barrel again and gas at the pumps hits $4/gallon. I know a lot of people say they didn't buy it for the MPG but $100 to fill up your truck will get old fast when you are only getting say 12 MPG, leaving your pockets draining at $0.30 a mile. The Raptor still lacks the towing capacities of a full-sized pickup rolling in a 6,000lbs (which ironically is the same towing capability as the Tacoma I had).

A year or so after the newness and exclusivity wears off people will start to nit-pick more and more about the Raptor's shortcomings leaving more on the lots. Remember there are a whole lot of people who want it, or own it, that have no intention of using it as an offroading monster.

I am not bashing the Raptor, why would I? These are just the thoughts that came into my head concerning the collapse of the Raptor dynasty.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AGAIN Frogman... it ****** me OFF that ... SOMEONE (to be nice and not mention esad's name... because WE are NON-Bashers here at the BEST Raptor forum) deleted all our threads. That was a great thread. Bummer.

Falcon

Maybe his web host will DELETE his FORUM

image081.png

AuPanda

Reaction score
1) There will be a Raptor option as long as it sells trucks
2) I thought the 6.2 was the standard engine. Ford needs to keep up with Chevy & Dodge in the HP wars. Based on that I also suspect the early reports in ESAD's Paradise will prove false in regards to MPG

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the name and general approach to this site gives ya my answer. I'm hoping (betting even) that SVT will see the potential in "off road" performance vehilces, and bring more to the table. On the other hand, I don't expect the current "Raptor" nameplate to last more than 3 (maybe 4) model years.

But truthfully, your guess is a good as mine.