Raptor Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being new to the Raptor platform, is the Raptor engine "special"? Meaning, is it like a GT500, Ford GT, and Boss 302 motors that were supposedly hand assembled?

Or is it the run of the mill 3.5 Ecoboost found across Ford's lineup of vehicles?

Does the 3.5 HO motor share anything with the new Ford GT motor?

Thanks!!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 3.5 HO is exclusive to the Raptor and Navigator; it was used in F-150 Limited, but only for 2 model years (19 & 20). It’s assembled in Ford’s Cleveland engine plant, but not by hand. The Raptor 3.5 shares 70% of its parts with the Ford GT engine.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.5 HO engine has forged internals and larger turbos than the run of the mill 3.5. I believe the heads are different too. I can’t speak to any part of the engine being hand assembled, perhaps others know.

*edit* @FordTechOne beat me to the reply, he’s the best resource you’re going to get here.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The 3.5 HO is exclusive to the Raptor and Navigator; it was used in F-150 Limited, but only for 2 model years (19 & 20). It’s assembled in Ford’s Cleveland engine plant, but not by hand. The Raptor 3.5 shares 70% of its parts with the Ford GT engine.
From one of the guys on here that actually knows what he is talking about. Always appreciate and actually trust your insight...

OP
OP
AutoXRacer

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!

Do we know the limits of the engine?

Like the 4.6L in the Mustangs, you didn't want to exceed approx 500 crank HP...approx 440-450 wheel HP. Otherwise you were on borrowed time before it goes boom...

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There haven’t been that many people pushing this motor with aftermarket turbos, and the aftermarket turbos available for the Raptor aren’t that big.

With that said, up to 600whp seems to be a pretty safe range as long as you have a good tune.

I find this topic interesting because I’ve heard the same thing iterated in a few threads here. Yet look at what whipple is claiming to be a safe tune. Roughly a peak 30 whp and 80 ft lbs torque, all that extra torque is doing though is allowing you to hit peak hp down around 4.8k rpm. Fine for a daily driver, but not what I’m looking for in a performance vehicle.

491CE9C5-9CD0-4C13-AB10-00BD0CE41520.png

Then look at what livernois is claiming to be a safe tune:

4241A43C-8EF4-4ECE-8BEC-F55F05124DCE.jpeg
Full disclosure I pulled this graph off someone on FB, Livernois doesn’t post their dyno results openly on their website like Whipple does. Only 50 ft lbs torque increase, but a whopping 90 whp screaming all the way to redline.

This, from livernois, is what I would call a performance tune, yet Whipple would claim this level of performance is beyond what is safe, and is beyond what they would be willing to pair a 3 year warranty with. That kind of logic flys in the face of those who are thinking 600 whp is the upper safe limit. Who is right? I don’t know lol.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Saying 600whp is a safe limit assumes you’re tuned safely, and if you are, 600whp is impossible on factory turbos.

The tunes you’re referring to reach a “safe” threshold not because of the limits of the short block, but because the pressure ratio you’re pushing the stock turbos to takes you right to the knock threshold on pump gas. Run E50 or E85 and that knock threshold will be higher, so you can run more boost and/or timing and make more power.

Once the stock turbos are at their limit they’re pushing mostly hot air and making so much excessive heat at those boost pressures that timing has to be reduced to avoid knock. The tuning companies like Cobb, etc., need to leave a fair amount of power on the table to account for variability between individual motors and infinite environmental factors. This is why you get an even bigger bump going to a custom pro tune like from Goose, the tune is bespoke to your specific truck, fuel, and environment.

If someone made a kit to strap 2 BorgWarner EFR 7163 turbos on a 3.5eb, I bet you could pretty easily hit 600whp with less than 20 psi of boost. At that boost pressure those turbos would barely be working hard, you could keep pushing it until you blew the motor, then you’d really know the true limit of what the 3.5 bottom end can handle.

Quiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my thread on the turbo, fuel upgrades, bunch of othe bolt-ones on both the intake and exhaust sides.

It’s a Gen2 - so a little better looking than your Gen3 but the engine is the same ;)

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the 22 expedition has a stealth performance package with an upgraded 3.5 making 440hp is that an HO? @FordTechOne ordered it on my wife’s that has a blend date of today (Sunday) lol