Raptor Assault.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the classroom session they teach some pretty advanced technique and talk a lot about pushing the trucks but I don't really feel like I got to exercise any of that technique or push the truck. Most of the day was spent under 20 mph doing easy hill climbs and stuff like that. Apexing and left foot braking hardly matter going up and down hills and at speeds that low. It was all really easy but only 3 guys had off road experience and only 2 guys had raptors before so a lot of them were driving way too slow like they were scared and kept stopping up and down the climbs and other guys looked like they were going out of their way to pick the worst lines. Sure they're new but they could follow the instructor and use a little common sense when picking lines. As an experienced off roader I wouldn't really want to ride with a guy I don't know who'd never seen dirt before.

The handling course and baja sections were the only parts where we really got to work on handling technique and feel the truck's limits. On the baja course they tell you not to go over 50 but I was able to go 75 easily. All that said, it's a free day of driving a raptor that isn't yours but you could definitely have more fun in yours. I wrote this to maybe change some of your expectations because I'm not sure how many of you are experienced off roaders or what you're experienced with and all people talk about is pushing your trucks and the baja section when you only get maybe 20 minutes max of that out of a full day course. I get the raptor can handle any kind of off road and it's cool to feature some other things but the raptor really shines at higher speeds and that was only a small portion of the course. Also the previous raptor course featured jumping. If it sounds like I didn't have fun, I did. But most of the day was just cruising and I didn't have to focus much on driving.

Utah has lots of great diverse off roading so bring your raptor if you can and stay some extra time.

Last edited:

Bruno74

Reaction score
Cant wait, Oct 3/4....
Thanks for all the accomodation tips guys

Those are my dates too. Plan to arrive a day early to hit to the local breweries.

Will then head to Denver for the GABF Oct 5/6/7.

Should be a good week.

:party52::party52::party52:

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was all really easy but only 3 guys had off road experience and only 2 guys had raptors before so a lot of them were driving way too slow like they were scared and kept stopping up and down the climbs and other guys looked like they were going out of their way to pick the worst lines. Sure they're new but they could follow the instructor and use a little common sense when picking lines. As an experienced off roader I wouldn't really want to ride with a guy I don't know who'd never seen dirt before. .

I was wondering how much this was going to happen. Did an off-road course awhile back and the instructor was shocked when I told him the road wasn't that steep nor narrow, been on quite a bit worse. He then took us to some better stuff, but that would suck to be held back because most hadn't been off-road.

I got to figure out dates.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering how much this was going to happen. Did an off-road course awhile back and the instructor was shocked when I told him the road wasn't that steep nor narrow, been on quite a bit worse. He then took us to some better stuff, but that would suck to be held back because most hadn't been off-road.

I got to figure out dates.

I was able to learn a lot from the instructors but I wasn't able to put much of it to the test during the course. I mentioned this in the survey and they told me the course is subject to change. Since it is broken up into groups of 3-4 trucks, if they organized it by skill/experience, everyone would be able to develop their skills and see how they work with the truck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those of you who have been to the event, approximately how much "behind the wheel" time would you say you get from start to finish?