GEN 2 Rant: Why is the gen 3 so ugly?? Passing up a free chance to upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badclam

Reaction score
The only Raptor I've ever owned is the AMB fully loaded 37pp. I can't believe how it drives on and off road. The interior is so nice, and seats are so comfortable, it lacks nothing but a little more HP. Since I've never had a gen 2, it just looks like the old single woman at the bar to me. I have a hard time believing you could get a gen 2 with 37s drive like the 37pp for a reasonable amount of money? Why not drive the one engineered for 37s? What ever. The only thing that might be better to me would be a 37R.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got 20MPG round trip last month on a road trip (18MPG average across its whole life), I have taken it up some of the hardest trails in CO and it’s comfortable to drive.
I am right on the edge of calling ********. Squeezing 20mpg out of a Raptor on the freeway might be doable. But 18mpg over it's whole life while still taking it up some of the hardest trails on CO. NOPE did not happen.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am right on the edge of calling ********. Squeezing 20mpg out of a Raptor on the freeway might be doable. But 18mpg over it's whole life while still taking it up some of the hardest trails on CO. NOPE did not happen.
It might be barely possible if he seldom drives freeways at 75 or drives much in the city. Two lane highway at 60? It can be done, especially if he hasn't calibrated the lie-o-meter. I lost 1 mpg when I calibrated mine. I'm a bit over 16mpg lifetime, calibrated, with plenty of 75+ and city driving. Thin air helps mileage if you're boosted because of the lower air resistance.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I like the Gen 2 looks better, and the inside tech on the Gen 3 is lost on me. That rear suspension though...

I opted to keep my Gen 2 and just upgrade the suspension.
I opted to keep my truck stock because I can barely afford the payment and to put more money into Recovery/Rescue Gear that I will never use ;)

lardog

Reaction score
I can only get 18 MPG at around 55 to 60 MPH with not much stopping in my Gen 2. Usually, average high 16 for city and highway. But getting the opportunity to go to a 37 Raptor I think the looks will grow on you and the resale value will also be very good for years to come.

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’ve logged every fill up for the life of the vehicle and below is a screenshot of my data in Fuelly. Average is a bit under 18. Apologize for the graph scaling. You can also see where I have towed and when I got a new daily driver in March.

For the trip up to the mountains, I got a little under 18 going up and 23 going back (plus the dirt road rallying up there) averaging out to 20. I reset prior to leaving so this pic of 23MPG is ONLY the 4 hour return trip which has more downhill than up. There was traffic so I was probably averaging 65. Maybe a tailwind? The pump verified the reported number. Also had two mountain bikes on the back though I doubt the drag made a significant difference.

It’s hard but if you stay out of boost, you can get some crazy MPG’s but what’s the fun in that?

Since I do have a daily car, I am more tempted to get a Raptor 37 since MPG’s are less important to me now.

Attachments

• 11F7214B-5457-48B7-959F-25921B61DC12.jpeg
    11F7214B-5457-48B7-959F-25921B61DC12.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 128B774D-B36A-41E2-82F7-B0C8F2DDDAD0.jpeg
    128B774D-B36A-41E2-82F7-B0C8F2DDDAD0.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 14

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second that. I’ve driven my Gen 2 from Florida to Moab twice. 14/15mpg cruise control 80-90mph. Maybe with a tune it would be better but aside from an onboard train horn kit I’m bone stock. Yes it was also a tour of the fine gas stations of America but let’s be real.. she’s no Prius and damn proud of it lol