Racing my brother's Acura RSX Type-S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verytalonted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so here is the deal:

My little brother just bought an 2005 Acura RSX Type-S (which I assume means 'shit')

He has been talking about how badass and super fast his car is.

My dad owns a Lightning and his 'Honda Hubris' makes him think he could destroy, not just beat, my Dad's 450rwhp tuned Lightning.

I think my 6.2 Raptor will get him... 0-60s. 1/4mile, and power:weight ratios are all close to eachother... (less than a sec apart) P:W my .069 to his .073

I told him that if he beats my Raptor then he can resume talking about my Dad's Lightning.
But until then, stop being a loud ricer.

His mods are a fartcan 'muffler' and a CAI.
My mods are K&N drop-in filter, E-cutout, and SCT canned tune.

I am gonna flash to the 93 octane tune, since I will be in a 93 octane area for the race and clean the K&N up right before the race.

Have I bit off more than my Raptor can chew?

Race will be on street (I know, the Raptor is not designed to ever be used on a paved road, blah, blah, blah) on a closed country road that the govenor has donated to the event. So it is all legit.

Any other thoughts? And 'cheater tips'? Should I pull the spare tire? What PSI should I have on the tires? Would switching to non Raptor wheels help my 4.10 gears out if I could find some for temp use???:hmmm2:

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those little "pocket rockets" fast in stock or lightly modded trim? No. Quick? Sorta, I guess - it's all relative. Stock/factory quarter mile times for that Acura are low 14s to 15 seconds flat. IIRC, stock Raptor times are slightly slower.

Sooo, with all the mods taken into consideration, it should make for a close race. Might just come down to a driver's race IMHO...remove as much weight as you can, g'luck!

Cummins_Bred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shed weight, brake torque it, if it spins the rears, leave in 4wd, and shift back to 2wd after the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. Higher tire pressure for lesser rolling resistance, shed weight, make sure your truck is aligned so you don't have any toe out or in scrubbing off speed, shed some weight, an all terrain lighter tire could be very beneficial, maybe run in manual mode so you can force the trans to hold each gear just a bit longer than normal, but don't hit the rev limiter. Oh and not sure if it was mentioned, but shed any weight you can

OP
OP
verytalonted

verytalonted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those little "pocket rockets" fast in stock or lightly modded trim? No. Quick? Sorta, I guess - it's all relative. Stock/factory quarter mile times for that Acura are low 14s to 15 seconds flat. IIRC, stock Raptor times are slightly slower.

Sooo, with all the mods taken into consideration, it should make for a close race. Might just come down to a driver's race IMHO...remove as much weight as you can, g'luck!

Shed weight, brake torque it, if it spins the rears, leave in 4wd, and shift back to 2wd after the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. Higher tire pressure for lesser rolling resistance, shed weight, make sure your truck is aligned so you don't have any toe out or in scrubbing off speed, shed some weight, an all terrain lighter tire could be very beneficial, maybe run in manual mode so you can force the trans to hold each gear just a bit longer than normal, but don't hit the rev limiter. Oh and not sure if it was mentioned, but shed any weight you can

Great advice guys!

So drop the Spare tire and the Grill Guard? Almost empty tank?

Also what settings (Off Road Modes, Traction Control, Tow Hual) Should I be in?

Last edited:

Aggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely run a 1/4 tank. Don't want to keep weight, but don't want to run out.

Dropping the spare may not help, it may make the rear lighter, causing the ability to lose traction.

Cummins_Bred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
traction control OFF. My buddy used to think it made cars faster when racing. He was in a G35 and I was in a maxima. He had auto, i had 6 spd, same 3.5 v6 but the tuning from the factory gave him and extra 15 horse. We go to take off, my TC off, his on. Both of us spun on the launch, but I kept accelerating, TC shut him down for a second and I left him. Then I met another of my hometown's finest in a black/white charger...

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Definitely run a 1/4 tank. Don't want to keep weight, but don't want to run out.

Dropping the spare may not help, it may make the rear lighter, causing the ability to lose traction.

I agree run 1/2 tank or less, but ditch the spare. that's 40+ lbs gone, and just launch in 4wd, no worries about spinning off the line. My old truck would roast the tires off the line if i brake torqued it to get boost built up. Launching in 4wd on 20psi. ZOOM ZOOM!!!