R1 Concepts BBK EPB Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Have a 2020 F150 Raptor, previous owner installed R1 Concepts Big Brake Kit within the truck having 3k miles. I bought the truck at 31k miles. When it had 35k miles the driver side electronic parking brake died and wouldn't move anymore. Replaced it with a new one, now at 39k miles this motor blew apart. Replaced it and it blew apart as soon as we hit the switch. Thinking there's potentially an electrical issue I took it to Ford dealer where they charged me a $170 diagnostic fee and tried to replace the motor again with it blowing apart immediately. I tried to warn them.

They are now saying that it's the aftermarket caliper problem, which doesn't make sense to me since they worked for ~32k miles and the motor on the passenger side is still working to this day. My understanding is that the motor is supposed to stop when it gets resistance, is that correct? Wouldn't it stand to reason that, even if you removed the motor from the caliper and actuated the switch, it would shut itself off with resistance before the motor blew itself apart? Appreciate any insight

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty aftermarket caliper is damaging the actuator motor.

The ABS Module monitors the current draw when the parking brake is applied. It will run the motor until it sees the current draw begin to ramp up, indicating pad to rotor contact.

If the ball ramp mechanism in the aftermarket caliper isn’t working properly, the motor may be damaged since it will continue running until it sees resistance. It sounds like the caliper is causing the force to be applied between the actuator and caliper instead of the caliper and rotor, destroying the actuator assembly.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call R1 or Evil Manufacturing who is actually selling and marketing the R1 BBK. Good luck.