Question -> XPEL Ceramic Coating vs XPEL PPF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Read much but unclear what are the pros and cons for PPF vs Ceramic Coating. Appears both protect the paint from rocks, salt, bugs, world destruction. Can someone with experience explain the difference and is one "better" than other. Thanks!!

Stormtrooper

Raptor R
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)

What is Paint Protection Film?
Paint protection film, also known as PPF or clear bra is a typically clear urethane film designed to provide an end all be all solution against damaging impacts like rock chips, parking lot dings and scratches. The film provides an 8 mil thick barrier and features a self-healing, clear coated top layer.

How Long Does Paint Protection Film Last?
Must current films from respectable brands such as STEK, LLumar, Xpel, Suntek and 3M offer a 10-year manufacturer warranty. These warranties covers product defects such as yellowing, fading, cracking, or bubbling.

What’s Better? Ceramic Coating or PPF?
Paint Protection Film is applied first to the portions of your vehicle that will be most susceptible to rock chips or scratches from road debris. Since a Ceramic Coating does not protect against this kind of damage, it’s important to apply Paint Protection Film to these areas. This often includes the front bumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors, rocker panels, and rear wheel arch. Once the most vulnerable areas are protected with Paint Protection Film, your whole car receives a Ceramic Coating. The coating will bond to both the vehicle’s factory paint and the film that has already been applied. When applied on top of film, coating will provide an additional layer of protection from chemical etching and stains. It will also help keep the film clean and free from contaminants, which will lengthen the life of the film. Everywhere else on the vehicle, whether protected by film or not, the Ceramic Coating will thwart oxidation and chemical etch marks or stains. Moreover, the hydrophobic surface will make it harder for contaminants to bond to the vehicle, keeping the paint cleaner and making it easier to wash. The smooth surface of the Ceramic Coating will also enhance the gloss of your vehicle’s factory paint. Together, the two products will preserve your car’s paint over the long-term, and enhance its appearance on a day-to-day basis.

E4AFB909-3B56-4534-8004-53CC87624F12.jpeg

Stormtrooper

Raptor R
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stormtrooper!
Also if you’re looking for a matte look, most companies make a stealth/matte PPF, which, if you want a matte look, you can go this route, but will need to pee pee at the whole vehicle.

This is what I recently did on my Raptor R, and it came out amazing.

There’s also windshield PPF that will protect your windshield. This is the product my installer installed on my windshield.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Also if you’re looking for a matte look, most companies make a stealth/matte PPF, which, if you want a matte look, you can go this route, but will need to pee pee at the whole vehicle.

This is what I recently did on my Raptor R, and it came out amazing.

There’s also windshield PPF that will protect your windshield. This is the product my installer installed on my windshield.

On the windshield - any distortion or glare issues? Have windshield tint and looked at windshield PPF as literally just replaced due to stone/crack. Curious of one or both films causing issues.

Also on the film - was offered "pre-cut template for vehicle which was less expensive than removing plastic, etc and applying film. Show me BMW with precut and was hard to see edges of film.