Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Protect from winter conditions ei. Salt

Discussion in 'FOX Racing Shox' started by 98infinity, Nov 5, 2015.

1. SilentShooter

SilentShooter FRF Addict

The reason why the upgraded shocks have external res units is to offer increased oil capacity for cooling. The metal body acts as a heat sink for the heated oil so wrapping it in vinyl would be bad during hard runs in the summer. King even had res units with fins for cooling now to help even more. If you run it hard I would not wrap them, if its a street queen most days then does not matter. But the hotter the oil the less dampening and the sooner the rebuild.

2. t_j

t_j FRF Addict

I use ACF-50 in the shocks, works great goes on clear. Re-apply once a month.

3. 98infinity

98infinity Full Access Member

Wonder if fox will chime in if wrapping the shocks with hold in heat?

4. farman

farman Full Access Member

Hey, I just ordered some acf-50 after seeing this post. And while the reviews are great, most of the ones I see are for motorcycles. I was curious how you apply it to your shocks. Do you go to town detailing them before hand or will a normal wash down work. Also was wondering if you just spray it on or use a rag to wipe it on. Thanks for any info.

5. 2014RubyRed

2014RubyRed FRF Addict

If you wrap the shocks sufficiently to keep salt and other contaminants off of them, it will cause the shocks to hold heat. But, I guess if you used something that was super thin, then it might not be as bad. Higher heat will cause the internals to require service sooner, though.

If you found something that was as thin as say, packaging tape, then that might be so bad.

Anything thicker will be detrimental, though.......

6. t_j

t_j FRF Addict

Spray the shocks down and then wipe off any runs, re-apply every couple of weeks.

7. matrix243

matrix243 Full Access Member

Kind of an old thread but has anyone had issues with heat after 3m wrapping? I'm currently getting mind wrapped. The thickness is the same as the fox racing sticker. Also, the temps up here rarely get into ~90F, so not sure how much of an issue it could be.