Probably should have researched more before buying a 2019 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck just started exhibiting the cam phaser rattle last week at 50K. I have it scheduled for service and I'm confident Ford will do me right. I just came off my first off-roading adventure that was without a doubt the best vacation of my life. Rattle or no rattle, I'll give up my '19 Raptor when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Enjoy!

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relax. The Ecoboost motors are a lot more reliable than the Internet will have you believe.

Hell, if you believed everything you Googled, CorvetteForum would have you believing LS motors are unreliable trash.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some waste gate rattle too. Dealer says it’s not bad so I run it, have fun, and enjoy the truck! Agree with others, the internet will make you worry about everything!

Teraflx

Reaction score
I am in the exact boat, I have a 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro and have been bouncing back and fourth on trading it in on a 2019 or 2020 Raptor. The Cam Phaser issue has been scaring me as well which has made me hold off. I was hoping they would come out with a redesigned motor for 2021 but no luck. The used market is stupid high right now which helps me on my TRD Pro trade but of course hurts on the Raptor purchase.

If I could just walk into a Ford dealer and grab a 2021/22 order I would have probably pulled the trigger by now but I cant so I am still pacing back and fourth trying to decide what I should do.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
As others have said, don't let it phase you and enjoy. Take it off-road and you'll see it was not a wrong decision.

Reaction score
I have a 2017 and just got my truck back from the dealer yesterday after having the cam phaser repair completed. It took them a week to get it done, but she sounds good and runs great now. All covered under warranty and it was really painless other than being without the truck for a week. I wouldn't worry about it, Ford has extended their coverage on the phasers so you'll have some extra time for the problem to develop, if it's going to at all. If you end up needing it done, it's not a big deal. The new cam phaser's that are being installed for the repairs are supposedly upgraded and don't fail like the older ones have.