Power Tank setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are many people running or using a power tank for their Gen 2? If so, where and how are you mounting your tank(s)?

E9FE8F9C-D4C4-4337-9226-B2807C434EFE.jpeg

7D045C5E-1AB6-4A30-A5F8-B0BB67BDAA06.jpeg

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine mounted at a 45 like yours on the Builtright rack and almost ripped it right off the rack off roading. I just finished re-welding it and painting it this weekend. I highly suggest you mount it straight up and down with the base sitting on the bed, or getting the bed mount that lays it flat. Its just a matter of time before you break that Builtright if you take it off road.

OP
OP
Phil O

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine mounted at a 45 like yours on the Builtright rack and almost ripped it right off the rack off roading. I just finished re-welding it and painting it this weekend. I highly suggest you mount it straight up and down with the base sitting on the bed, or getting the bed mount that lays it flat. Its just a matter of time before you break that Builtright if you take it off road.
Wait, the tank was ripped off the rack or the rack was compromised and broke?

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Builtright rack broke. Pic #1 is the day I mounted. The rest are after 3 off road runs. I took it off and welded it. I am going to mount on the same rack, but straight up and down with the base on the bed to take the weight off

CO2 tank 1.jpg

rack 4.jpg

rack 3.jpg

rack 2.jpg

rack 1.jpg

OP
OP
Phil O

Phil O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 12951

The racks are good quality. The rear of the bed gets bounced around the most. I mounted a 10# tank in my bed side parallel to the bed and in Baja it ripped my bed side. I had to weld it and recoat with Line-X. Those tanks are just too heavy at an angle to take abuse. Like he said mount it upright. You really don’t want a cover when off-roading hard anyways, I take mine off. A trip in Baja, I left it on (was the BAK Roll-X) and ended up giving it to a local because it broke, he seems excited to have it.

And yes when off-roading at speed, you do end up finding things that make the truck jump. :)

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s shocking those racks are that poor quality.... were you jumping or something?

Its leverage. I doubt the racks were designed to hold the weight of a powertank. Most people put molle bags or use them to mount things like shovels which are a small % of the weight.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s shocking those racks are that poor quality.... were you jumping or something?
The racks are actually a very quality made product. They just arent made to take that weight being bounced like that unsupported. That tank is pretty heavy when its full. I was not jumping at all, just high speed desert, woops and washouts. Normal So Cal desert terrain. The tank needs to be upright and supported on the bed floor to take the suspended weight off the rack

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The racks are good quality. The rear of the bed gets bounced around the most. I mounted a 10# tank in my bed side parallel to the bed and in Baja it ripped my bed side. I had to weld it and recoat with Line-X. Those tanks are just too heavy at an angle to take abuse. Like he said mount it upright. You really don’t want a cover when off-roading hard anyways, I take mine off. A trip in Baja, I left it on (was the BAK Roll-X) and ended up giving it to a local because it broke, he seems excited to have it.

And yes when off-roading at speed, you do end up finding things that make the truck jump. :)
Yeah I dont leave my rack on either when off road. I mounted it at a 45 so I could keep it in there when I do have the cover on when bee bopping around town. Im going to mount it again and its going to be straight up