Power Steering Rack Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorsailor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 2013 Screw into the dealer last week to get the power steering checked. Told me the steering rack is leaking. They also said it would not be covered under warranty, told me I abused the truck. I asked how they figured, they said because of the dirt under the truck and a dent to the bumper. I understand them questioning the dent, which occurred from a Hi-lift when we jacked up the front end. I explained that to them, they said they could not prove this and suspect the damage was occurred from abuse. Ford said the steering rack would have to be replaced. Would like to know if anyone has had their racks leaking and what was the solution? Complete replacement or replacing seals. Anything out there besides OEM for this. Thanks

Raptor_Kx250

Reaction score
Go to a different dealer, the dealer in my town gets on the same way, so I go a half hour out of town to another dealer were service is great and don't question anything. And as for the rack it's not uncommon to leak I've heard of a few with the same issue. My truck is going in the shop in a couple days, getting its second replacement steering rack but it's not due to a leak, the is excessive play in it. Hope you find a good dealer.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
^ what he said.

Go to another dealer. I've seen potholes that could do more damage than off-roading. There's no reason why it should fail under even moderate abuse. The power steering system is def a weak link on these trucks. There were six trucks with issues by my count at the Snoball. Not all identical but all power steering related.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^x2 What he said^ Find another dealership, you have a 2013, it should be covered. The dealership gets paid either way. I had a power steering line blow at HAVOC in my 2011, my dealership replaced it under warranty and gave me a rental for the day. And yes, there is still PA clay caked up under there.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like all have said find a new dealer. I've have a few steering racks replaced in mine. They are not cheap to replace on your own.
It's a whole replaced part, no rebuild kit for the seals. And there is a core charge.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford just put my third rack in and said it will be the last one they cover. Drove 500 miles today and it's all wacky again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to check the Heims before i head back as well as the lower ball joints. Something is loose so where with play

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford just put my third rack in and said it will be the last one they cover. Drove 500 miles today and it's all wacky again

Hell at that point you could take ford to the cleaners and get them under a lemon law since they have replaced the same failed part 3 times..