Possible Trips This Summer for Those of Us in the Southwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More detailed info from Blair...

Just a suggestion, but I think maybe something like this would be an interesting weekend:

Friday night, proceed on Hwy 395 north to Big Pine. At the north end of town, turn right on to Hwy 168 East. At top of pass, turn left onto (paved) White Mt Rd. Camp (and Fri night rendezvous) is Grandview Campground (el. 8500'). Grandview is 5 miles up White Mt Rd from the intersection with 168. 27 sites, no reservations, no fee ($5 suggested donation), very quiet. Doubtful there will be more than one or two other people there. And, quite possibly, zero.

Saturday proceed the 5 miles back south on White Mt Rd to 168, turn left (east) and head down into Deep Springs Valley. At the north end of Deep Springs Valley, look for graded pole line road heading due west. This is the road into Wyman Canyon. Checking on Google Earth, I think this intersection is approximately N37*24'25.33" W117*58'23.56" .

Follow Wyman Canyon all the way west, climb climb climb into the mts, pass a few water crossings and, near the top, an old cabin. Then, up to the crest.

In general, Wyman Canyon road is very easy to follow. With three exceptions.. .down low, before you enter the canyon, there is a little bit of zig-zagging and, I think, a cattle gate you have to pass through. Second, at some point on the way up you will pass a road going off to the right, which is a semi-defunct route to Crooked Creek. It gets virtually zero use. [Always continue on the road with more obvious usage and you'll be fine].

And third, very near the top, above the cabins, you'll get a head-scratching option. It will NOT necessarily be obvious how to proceed because Wyman Canyon Road does not intersect directly with (big, wide, obvioius) White Mt Rd. Just before the crest Wyman Canyon Road (still the small jeep road) will split, left and right. You'll want to turn right and continue a mile or so north until...aha! ...yep, you run into White Mt Rd.

(If you take the left, the same thing happens--you soon run into White Mt Rd. Therefore, if you goof and take the left, no biggie, you'll just end up on White Mt Rd a mile or so south. Because your eventual destination is the White Mt Rd highpoint, and thats to the north, whatever route you take be sure to turn right on to White Mt Rd when you hit it).

Follow White Mt Rd north until it ends at a locked gate. This is the highpoint. I think its 5-8 miles or so to the gate. Nice views enroute.

You may also see a couple of short side roads--one goes to a grove of ultra old Bristlecones, another one goes to a little-used campground. There are, perhaps, a few other very faint tracks, but generally these don't go anywhere.

OK, so after you've made it to the gate, and taken in the views, return south on White Mt Rd. When you get back to the neighborhood where you merged on to White Mt Rd from Wyman Canyon, do NOT go down Wyman Canyon. Continue south a couple more miles and start looking for Silver Canyon Rd. It'll be heading off the mt to the west (right). It might even be signed. And, there is, on a hump just south of the intersection, a radio tower installation- -so I believe the turn is pretty hard to miss.

Silver Canyon is frequently graded. It is also very steep. The first part goes straight down slope, then when it gets to the REALLY steep part of the mt face it starts switchbacking. From White Mt Rd to the hwy at Laws is 12.5 miles but over 6,000' of vertical elevation drop. In the first couple miles, the road drops 1000 vertical feet per mile! Its good solid road, no issues there, but keep your speed down and keep a sense of what your brakes are doing--ie, heating up.

Once off the switchbacks the road goes straight down canyon towards Laws. There are several creek crossings, not deep but they will have water in them. If you are hauling ass downhill, watch for thick vegetation on the sides of the road--this means upcoming water crossing.

When you hit Laws, you are at a highway. US-6. Left goes to Bishop. Right goes to Benton, and eventually to Nev.

Lets assume you started early on Sat morning, cover the route mentioned above, and make it to Laws by 5-6pm on Saturday. I would do this: turn RIGHT on Hwy 6 (ie, NOT to Bishop). Continue 35 miles north on the pavement to Benton, CA. At Benton, turn left onto Hwy 120. Pass through the "town" of Benton Hot Springs. Continue on up the hill. Just over the hump look for paved road going off to your left (west). This is Benton Crossing Rd. Turn here. Follow road west towards Crowley Lake (little used road, and mostly straight, but watch for cows!).

From Laws to Crowley Lake (the lake, not the town) via the US-6 route is about 1hr 15mins, pavement. When you hit the east side of Crowley Lake, I suspect you're going to be just about done for the day. You will be looking for overnight camping. You have several choices.

First, you could do the developed campground thing at: http://www.brownsca mpgrounds. com/owens. html Second, you could drive down to the Crowley Lake beach...I can tell you how to get to a beach that will be empty. [Ask if you want specific directions]. Or, third, the area is wide open country...you could camp anywhere you can find a dirt road and a spot big enough for all your rigs.

Whatever you do, get up Sun AM and head for Owens River Rd northbound. (From Brown's Owens River Campground: follow Benton Crossing Rd west towards 395. At a point about 2 miles east of 395, turn 180* on to dirt Whitmore Tubs Rd. Graded dirt. Haul ass. But don't blow past the left turn at Owens River Rd (signed, I think). You'll know you're on Owens River Rd if you immediately cross over small bridge. Then, within mile or so, you will pass cattle loading corrals on left at intersection with another dirt road (but don't take that left). Then, long flat sections for more hauling ass.

After maybe 15 miles of dirt you will reintersect with 395, near Deadman Summit, about 1/2 way to June Lake (ie, north of Mammoth). Turn right, north, and go 1-2 miles north on 395. Look for (signed) Bald Mt Rd on your right. Heads east. Good graded road. Fast...but remember there are some sharp corners near the east end, almost to the Bald Mt Lookout. Bald Mt Lookout has spectacular views of the Sierra and Mono Lake to the north.

When you've had your fill, return to 395, turn left, south, and you're homeward bound.

This should be doable in two FULL days. Enjoy!

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Bob, it's good to see you here again.

If you are welcoming folks to join you on your Bridgeport and Baja 1000 trips please post some more details including dates and location(s). You could start another thread with the destination in the subject line. I'll sure consider it/them once I have some more info.

Thanks!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x2 on Dan's comments. Would strongly consider it. Thanks for the invite!