POLL: If Ford offers engine option (V6 and V8), which one would you pick?

Which engine would you choose in the 2017 raptor?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score
I think they actually went about this in the opposite way we are thinking about it.

Ford picked a HP and TQ target _first_ then found the smallest motor to achieve those targets.

Could a TTV8 fit? Sure... But it would make TOO MUCH power for the rest of the truck. The brakes/tranny/shocks/... Would all have to get bigger which would drive up cost. The truck was designed around 450ish hp and the EB could easily achieve that with diesel-like torque.

The only option then would be an NA motor with similar power, and they just don't have one other than the 6.2 that would work. Would some people buy it? Probably... But I think many folks would opt for the V6TT after a back-to-back test drive.

Other than how it sounds, I can't see a logical reason to put a NA V8 into THIS truck. Maybe they'll make a Raptor-R (similar to the Cobrajet Mustang program) that will have a bigger motor... But for a street truck, I just can't see how it would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. More hp. More torque. Still have a badass sounding Raptor. That all sounds good to me. Tell me that the Raptor couldn't handle 550 - 600 hp? Sure it could. Let's do it!!!

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course it could handle it, military grade, if they can get 800 hp from the gen 1 the gen 2 should be good to at least a grand.

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score
I don't know. More hp. More torque. Still have a badass sounding Raptor. That all sounds good to me. Tell me that the Raptor couldn't handle 550 - 600 hp? Sure it could. Let's do it!!!

No, it cannot. At least not as-is... The brakes would need to be larger, the shocks would at least need a serious re-valve if not outright replacement. The fuel system would need help and MOST importantly the cooling system would need to be completely rethought. An additional 150 crank hp means 300hp of heat, and that is 223,800 Watts of heat to be dissipated!

Other concerns: transmission heating, axle strength, spring rates... You get the idea. FoMoCo is not your neighborhood tuning company... They can't just add 150hp and 200lbft of torque and send you on your way to discover your brakes can't handle it. They HAVE to address the whole system, and that is why a TTV8 won't happen.

Overall I bet Ford would have to add 500lbs and $15,000 to accommodate a 600hp motor.

Plus they would need another EPA cert and crash testing, so I say nevah-gonna-happen.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, it cannot. At least not as-is... The brakes would need to be larger, the shocks would at least need a serious re-valve if not outright replacement. The fuel system would need help and MOST importantly the cooling system would need to be completely rethought. An additional 150 crank hp means 300hp of heat, and that is 223,800 Watts of heat to be dissipated!

Other concerns: transmission heating, axle strength, spring rates... You get the idea. FoMoCo is not your neighborhood tuning company... They can't just add 150hp and 200lbft of torque and send you on your way to discover your brakes can't handle it. They HAVE to address the whole system, and that is why a TTV8 won't happen.

Overall I bet Ford would have to add 500lbs and $15,000 to accommodate a 600hp motor.

Plus they would need another EPA cert and crash testing, so I say nevah-gonna-happen.

I think you're going out of your way to make this seem really hard and you're definitely not giving Ford enough credit. These are the same guys that put a 662 horsepower mustang on the market, after all.

I do agree Ford would need to make some other changes but a bigger radiator ain't exactly rocket science. Mine cost me $979. Imagine how much less it would cost Ford.

As for the rest of the driveline, it wouldn't need to be beefed up much if they put a soft tune in the truck.

And are you certain that crash testing is required for each engine offered in the same vehicle?

Tex7432

Reaction score
a hole in the wall town in what is now called Idah
Personally I like the 3.5 tt, mine's going to be a daily driver so better mpg is nice. When it does go off-road I'm sure 450 hp will be plenty, after all speed off-road has more to do with what your suspension can take than how much power you're putting down. Plus in a pickup any weight you can save from over that front axle comes in handy

psufan

Reaction score
I think you're going out of your way to make this seem really hard and you're definitely not giving Ford enough credit. These are the same guys that put a 662 horsepower mustang on the market, after all.

I do agree Ford would need to make some other changes but a bigger radiator ain't exactly rocket science. Mine cost me $979. Imagine how much less it would cost Ford.

As for the rest of the driveline, it wouldn't need to be beefed up much if they put a soft tune in the truck.

And are you certain that crash testing is required for each engine offered in the same vehicle?

To use your example... wasn't the GT500 about $25,000 more than a mustang GT premium in 2014? Something like low 40s vs mid to high 60s? Power does cost money when it's a factory car and has to meet factory durability specs, have factory emissions testing, etc...

Lets face it, until the 2017 is actually out and people are driving them, we won't have an answer to how good it is. We know (from ADD's quote) that the 2017 outruns a shelby s/c gen 1 in stock form... so it's definitely faster on the street in a straight line than a stock gen 1. How do they do offroad? I'd be willing to bet that a 500lb lighter truck with a more powerful engine, more wheel travel, and larger shock volume will probably be at least a little bit better than the outgoing truck. Again, we won't know until there is more information... but it's a pretty safe bet.

There is nothing wrong with the Gen 1 and it will continue to be a great truck; however, it's silly to think that Ford didn't benchmark their own previous model in order to make the Gen 2 better (baring any major reliability issues). That is kind of the point of a new generation. It doesn't mean it will be better in every way (think exhaust note)... but overall I do believe it will be a better truck. That doesn't make the Gen 1 a BAD truck by any means.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To use your example... wasn't the GT500 about $25,000 more than a mustang GT premium in 2014? Something like low 40s vs mid to high 60s? Power does cost money when it's a factory car and has to meet factory durability specs, have factory emissions testing, etc...

Lets face it, until the 2017 is actually out and people are driving them, we won't have an answer to how good it is. We know (from ADD's quote) that the 2017 outruns a shelby s/c gen 1 in stock form... so it's definitely faster on the street in a straight line than a stock gen 1. How do they do offroad? I'd be willing to bet that a 500lb lighter truck with a more powerful engine, more wheel travel, and larger shock volume will probably be at least a little bit better than the outgoing truck. Again, we won't know until there is more information... but it's a pretty safe bet.

There is nothing wrong with the Gen 1 and it will continue to be a great truck; however, it's silly to think that Ford didn't benchmark their own previous model in order to make the Gen 2 better (baring any major reliability issues). That is kind of the point of a new generation. It doesn't mean it will be better in every way (think exhaust note)... but overall I do believe it will be a better truck. That doesn't make the Gen 1 a BAD truck by any means.

There's a lot to like about the new truck. I've never argued that point. I just think a V6 in a full size truck is a disappointment.

And I personally hope they keep the 3.5 as the base engine and then offer a Raptor R with a TTV8 at a higher price point. I'd definitely park one next to my current beast :)