GEN 2 Pics from re-wire and lens change of Baja Designs Fog Pocket Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
Agreed with wheelman , the Deutsch DT connectors just make the look more oem. To anyone that will use them, you can pick up a d-sub crimper for 25 bucks on amazon.

OP
OP
Palmetto_Raptor

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Palmetto. Nice job!

My solution to working with the little bitty factory wires was to solder on a foot or so of 14 gauge wire to each of the six aux and six pass thru wires. Then I installed Deutsch 6 position connectors.

The connectors are waterproof. The white dots on top are plugs for the empty holes. I used Deutsch DT solid pins.

Makes it plug and play.

View attachment 132732

View attachment 132733

After looking at your Deutsch connection I decided to go with the 6 pin Deutsch connector vs Weather Pack.

Found a 6 pin Deutsch connector with 8.5" pin tails on Amazon for about $17

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTDS23L/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I'll solder the ends on the female side to the 6 OEM wires with heatshrink over them.

I currently only have 4 sets of lights so 2 of the wires will be unused. I will just dip the unused wire ends in liquid electric tape.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at your Deutsch connection I decided to go with the 6 pin Deutsch connector vs Weather Pack.

Found a 6 pin Deutsch connector with 8.5" pin tails on Amazon for about $17

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTDS23L/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I'll solder the ends on the female side to the 6 OEM wires with heatshrink over them.

I currently only have 4 sets of lights so 2 of the wires will be unused. I will just dip the unused wire ends in liquid electric tape.
Nice find on the Deutsch pre-wired connectors.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
smurfslayer should get up on this action :) From what I just read he's got a rats nest under there

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Rat’s nest would be a kind description.

OP
OP
Palmetto_Raptor

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your setup did you just use aux 1-3? I think those lights all pull less than 5amps right?

Aux 1 for S1 backup lights (5 amp)
Aux 2 for S2 driving lights. (5 amp)
Aux 3 for Squad Racer Spots (10 amp)
Aux 4 for Squad Combo Amber (10 amp)

I ended up attaching the pigtails on the Deutch connectors with the butt connectors that are covered in shrink wrap and are lined in heat release glue.

The only problem was the 5 amp upfitter wires. We worried those might be too small for the
butt crimp. To solve that I tinned the ends on the 5 amp wires which increased the diameter a little and they crimped solid. They were a little too small for the Butt crimp heat shrink to really shrink tight on the end. Put a section of heat shrink on the small wires before crimping them and after you shrink the heat shrink on the butt connectors slide the smaller section of heat shrink up around the end of the connector and you'll have a good connection.

Ford really f'd up imo using those those hair fine wires for the 5 amp switches. No wiring harnesses that come with lights use those little wires. They should have just made all the switches 15amp or at least have used 14-16 awg wire on all of the wires.

Last edited: