Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonnie510

Reaction score
I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere but for anyone that is interested in hooking up a Apple TV, FireTV or any other AV source. And for people with headrest TVs.

- There is a AUX RCA video input but NO AUX RCA audio input.
- There is a RCA Video Output on the unit but I found that only the native Video app (the video button on the top) puts out video. No other source puts video out. Youtube, ABC, Plex, CW, NBC, discovery go, HGTV, VLC player, or any other video player doesn’t output any video.

If anyone used the aux input, how did you get audio into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnie510

Reaction score
I want to reiterate.

I have no problems with sound or usability. I have clean use of Waze with pandora or Spotify playing right on top. All my buttons work.

I connect to sync for my Bluetooth phone. Whenever my phone rings, whatever my radio is doing... stops... and patches my phone ringing through. I answer and now my console is open and I’m in Bluetooth mode.

Not only is Waze flawless.... it also uses voice navigation that works, without issue.

I’m not worried about a couple of extra icons up at the top.

I also have no issues with the speed of the device or image quality of the sync passtbrh or the cameras.

On a final review I’d give it 9/10.

If you are having issues... I can’t relate, but I’d be hesitant to accept them as normal.... because I have none.

Guy,

Thanks for creating this thread. I’ve been watching these units for a while and when I saw that sync3 was retained I ordered one right away. Thank for the promo code too! $585 is a great deal for a unit like this.

I totally agree with you that it is still your factory sync 3 system with a lot of extras. I had the navics box that gave me video input and camera views in motion and that alone cost me $500! I also had a Apple TV, Fire TV Cube, and a WDTV for usb AV files and this head unit Replaces all of those sources.

I’ll message Phoenix about the issues I am having with the unit. What’s the best way to get a hold of them?

Totemus

Reaction score
If anyone used the aux input, how did you get audio into it?
Casting to the headrest screens was the primary purpose to upgrade to Phoenix unit for me.
Gen2 had a dedicated input - a jack that combined 3 RCAs (video, left and right audio). Gen3 (which I’ve got) had no audio in.
I was not able to get video output working, and according to Phoenix the only input it can receive is from DVD player hooked up to the USB port.
Ended up returning the unit.

Jonnie510

Reaction score
Casting to the headrest screens was the primary purpose to upgrade to Phoenix unit for me.
Gen2 had a dedicated input - a jack that combined 3 RCAs (video, left and right audio). Gen3 (which I’ve got) had no audio in.
I was not able to get video output working, and according to Phoenix the only input it can receive is from DVD player hooked up to the USB port.
Ended up returning the unit.

Still playing around with mine and trying different things. I did get the video input to work with a Apple TV but with no audio.

The video output ONLY works with the HD-Video player that comes up when you press the Video button on the top menu. Nothing else puts out video!

Jonnie510

Reaction score
No way. That's jacked up...and since the screen is all internal I would guess you got a bad screen. Sucks

Yes this sucks. But the resolution comes back normally after about a minute.

68e0de760332873bf070d9f20742c63e.jpg

Jonnie510

Reaction score
I just tried using a new hi resolution streaming service that streams in CD quality 16 bit or hi-res 24 bit (it's called Qobuz). I believe the high res requires the use of a DAC so I stayed with the 16-bit resolution. This service suffers from the same issue as I am experiencing with Amazon music which is sounds like the signal is being clipped.

Please check your various music services to see if you are experiencing the same issue.

Did you try to change the audio gain in the systems settings menu?

6746dae658f0f100f78326776c5ebd57.jpg

djc1603

Reaction score
I did try that and couldn't tell that it made any audible difference to the sound level and still had the issue. I will try Tidal to see how it sounds. Spotify sounds fine, I'm just not a fan of the interface. Thanks for the tip.

djc1603

Reaction score
I want to reiterate.

I have no problems with sound or usability. I have clean use of Waze with pandora or Spotify playing right on top. All my buttons work.

I connect to sync for my Bluetooth phone. Whenever my phone rings, whatever my radio is doing... stops... and patches my phone ringing through. I answer and now my console is open and I’m in Bluetooth mode.

Not only is Waze flawless.... it also uses voice navigation that works, without issue.

I’m not worried about a couple of extra icons up at the top.

I also have no issues with the speed of the device or image quality of the sync passtbrh or the cameras.

On a final review I’d give it 9/10.

If you are having issues... I can’t relate, but I’d be hesitant to accept them as normal.... because I have none.
Guy,

Regarding Waze, do the voice prompts play over the vehicle's speakers when in other modes tham the console mode (like when you are streaming music from Tidal) or just over the small speaker provided in the kit?
Thanks