Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I see the split screen was answered just before I posted. Specifically, I would like to use the Dish app to watch sports or whatever with phone hotspot. I spend a lot of time sitting in the truck before and between kids baseball games. I usually just use the tablet, but this would be easier.

Reaction score
There are some quirks. The 360 camera is only displayed when the truck is in console mode and you press the button. However, put it in reverse and it goes instant full screen. Fix in progress

The Bluetooth is a little quirky.... if using the radio in console sync 3 mode and you get a call.... it’ll come thru on that little navigation speaker and the radio keeps blaring.

Can you elaborate on these two comments? I guess I’m not fully tracking what is meant by “console mode”.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Console mode is the app the runs that passes thru sync 3.

While listening to your sync 3 radio... if a call comes in and you are tablet Bluetooth connected.... it’ll come out of the navigation speaker. The music doesn’t stop .

It won’t stop until you switch to Bluetooth mode on the tablet.

The simple solution is just to use the Bluetooth mode via sync 3 as you would normally.

And yes apps run full screen.

Can you elaborate on these two comments? I guess I’m not fully tracking what is meant by “console mode”.

BoostinFD

Reaction score
For whatever reason it was 699 on my preorder. And I’m not gonna lie....

I wouldn’t care if it was 1999.99

I can’t figure out how they are able to offer this kind of quality and engineering for so little money.

Fit and finish is OEM quality and then some.

There are some quirks. The 360 camera is only displayed when the truck is in console mode and you press the button. However, put it in reverse and it goes instant full screen. Fix in progress

No virtual tuner knobs is a little bit of a bummer.

It’s smooth enough and it runs quick enough but 4 gigs of ram and a px5 processor and board would have been beautiful.

When you have a few apps going in the background it slows down, so you have to be mindful of Android and it’s nature.

The Bluetooth is a little quirky.... if using the radio in console sync 3 mode and you get a call.... it’ll come thru on that little navigation speaker and the radio keeps blaring. You have to switch the console mode off and go into Bluetooth mode for it to switch the phone to output from the speakers

There is split screen but it has limits. When the console for sync 3 is up, there can be no split screen. You can only use split screen on apps that support it, while running purely on the tablet mode.

They are minor things overall and it’s a ridiculously powerful and cool piece of hardware.

I don’t know man... although minor (to you), those glitches bug me. You can talk about a quality and all, but I’m the end, this is probably a 1-200 dollar tablet with their programming. You said it yourself, the 2gb ram is kind of a joke, In today’s standards.

The fact that it still takes 8-12 days for processing and another 2 weeks to arrive, gives me a few more days to think about canceling the order.

Nothing against anyone that has ordered it and excited about getting it, I felt like that too, at the beginning. I’m just worried that the so called quality, will start showing for what it really is... a cheap android tablet. We will see. This is just my personal opinion... take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give honest feedback.

It’s up to you folks to take that info and decide what you want to do with it.

Do I think you’ll love the radio?

I do.

I would be the first to say if it was garbage and pull it out.

I call them quirks because they aren’t bugs. In essence, it’s the way they have to work around retaining the sync 3 brain. Having sync 3 passed thru is priceless. The only thing you’re losing is the ugly dash.

The quirks I described can all be avoided entirely if you choose to use the truck and sync 3 exactly like you did before. You can pretend there is no android tablet and use as previously, albeit with a huge clean screen.

There is absolutely no downside to having this tablet. Like I said, you can use sync exactly as you did before and ignore the tablet entirely.

My wireless hotspot via obd2 arrives today. That’s when the real fun starts. Once I start streaming directly from the tablet, there will be very little left of sync 3 that I will use.

No regrets here, but I’m also not going to give half truths or omit information.

I don’t know man... although minor (to you), those glitches bug me. You can talk about a quality and all, but I’m the end, this is probably a 1-200 dollar tablet with their programming. You said it yourself, the 2gb ram is kind of a joke, In today’s standards.

The fact that it still takes 8-12 days for processing and another 2 weeks to arrive, gives me a few more days to think about canceling the order.

Nothing against anyone that has ordered it and excited about getting it, I felt like that too, at the beginning. I’m just worried that the so called quality, will start showing for what it really is... a cheap android tablet. We will see. This isn’t just my personal opinion... take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

VegasRaptor18

Reaction score
My wireless hotspot via obd2 arrives today. That’s when the real fun starts.

Is this the Ford Smartlink discussed earlier in the thread? I don’t really want to use my phone hotspot, my current plan doesn’t have it, would rather have the hotspot in the truck. Can you give me more details on this, price and plans available, is this something I can order and install or do I have to go to the dealership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro