Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AT&T Harman Spark. Plugs right in. 30 bucks for unlimited 4G

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the Ford Smartlink discussed earlier in the thread? I don’t really want to use my phone hotspot, my current plan doesn’t have it, would rather have the hotspot in the truck. Can you give me more details on this, price and plans available, is this something I can order and install or do I have to go to the dealership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sorry in advance as this may be to much info as I ramble on a bit.
I had posted earlier about the Ford Smartlink. What I found was that it is only available for vehicles that do not have a built in modem (hotspot capability). Based on vehicles 2016 and older. Somewhere in the literature on the Ford Smartlink site it give great detail as to what it can do for owners of those vehicles to bring them into the vehicle connected world. I called ATT yesterday and for user that have an ATT account for cell already it costs $20 a month for unlimited connected car plan or $10 a month for a share plan. For non-ATT account holders the cost is $25 a month for unlimited and has discounts for annual or bi-annual. I asked her about military discount and though there is not specifically a discount for connected car they would set up an account for the $20 a month for unlimited if I call back in after trying it out for the trial period. I have Verizon as our family carrier and really would not change unless there was some good savings. Since ATT offered the better price to save $5 a month I might go that route if I decide not to use my phones' hotspot. Convenience-wise there is definatle an advantage to having either the built in 4G or an OBDII 4G option.

Now for lunch.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obd2, the Harman spark is a simple plug and play. I use Verizon as well, but I’ll let at&t do my truck for 30 bucks.

They are the only game in town who offer it now. From what I hear the obd2 “hum+” device that Verizon offers is total crapola in terms of download speed and such.

ROBERT F HAVENS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obd2, the Harman spark is a simple plug and play. I use Verizon as well, but I’ll let at&t do my truck for 30 bucks.

They are the only game in town who offer it now. From what I hear the obd2 “hum+” device that Verizon offers is total crapola in terms of download speed and such.
Guy, that is what I have heard from a few friends that have "tried" it out. They all decided it was not worth it for the issues they were having and cancelled the accounts. If you call AT&T you might be able to "negotiate" a better monthly price more inline with there Connected Car plans at $20-25 a month. The annual plan listed is $250 and 450 for 24 months which is $20.83 and $18.75 respectively per month equivalent.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll let you know how the spark device works out.

If it’s a bust I’ll cancel it and go with a traditional hotspot plugged into a usb charger.

:)

Guy, that is what I have heard from a few friends that have "tried" it out. They all decided it was not worth it for the issues they were having and cancelled the accounts. If you call AT&T you might be able to "negotiate" a better monthly price more inline with there Connected Car plans at $20-25 a month. The annual plan listed is $250 and 450 for 24 months which is $20.83 and $18.75 respectively per month equivalent.

OffRoader01

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll let you know how the spark device works out.

If it’s a bust I’ll cancel it and go with a traditional hotspot plugged into a usb charger.

:)
I'm doing the hotspot on the USB charger in the console as I had an extra laying around. Sounds weird but I'm in tech so it happens. Works pretty well. I leave it plugged in, so pretty much setup and forget.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spark device is great.

Installed.

I get about 30 down and 20 up and it seems good. I’ll see if any issues long term use... but Oh man... the tablet just gained more awesomeness!

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spark device is great.

Installed.

I get about 30 down and 20 up and it seems good. I’ll see if any issues long term use... but Oh man... the tablet just gained more awesomeness!

Does the tablet automatically connect when you start the truck?

Shogunn of Panama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread Jack: Will those hotspot devices reach a smart tv on your tailgate? Or are they designed for cab proximity use? Would be awesome for game days.

Last edited: