Painting skid plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Thanks for responding so quickly. Yea, I have removed the skid plate before, but I thought it would be just as easy to do the plastidip while on the truck. I'll probably do as you did!

BTW - your truck is looking good.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Thanks for responding so quickly. Yea, I have removed the skid plate before, but I thought it would be just as easy to do the plastidip while on the truck. I'll probably do as you did!

BTW - your truck is looking good.

I found it a lot easier to plastidip the skidplate off the truck. To get nice even coats over the whole skid plate. Found it harder to do when spraying the plastidip upwards.

-Greg

CSmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much did the lines cost to get coated on the skid an silver part?

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get my stock Skid Plate and silver bumper section painted soon. If you had to choose a method what would you recommend?

Painted to color match the dark grey like the rest of the bumper?
Painted Black?
PlastiDip'd Black?
LineX'd Black?

IMG_7397_zps3ae4cdf4.jpg

Last edited:

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd go with line-x so it won't chip. Rattle can isn't going to stay looking nice for very long being that close to the ground to get chipped up.

Or powdercoated.

Quick/cheap resort I'd plasti-dip, just so when it gets chipped up you can peel it off and redo it.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with line-x so it won't chip. Rattle can isn't going to stay looking nice for very long being that close to the ground to get chipped up.

Or powdercoated.

Quick/cheap resort I'd plasti-dip, just so when it gets chipped up you can peel it off and redo it.

Yeah...I am back and forth between painting plasti dip or just LIne-X, either way I think it will look good...like the ease. Of touch up with paint and Plastidip..

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah...I am back and forth between painting plasti dip or just LIne-X, either way I think it will look good...like the ease. Of touch up with paint and Plastidip..

You shouldn't ever need to touch up line-x. If you hit something big enough to chip that up, you've got other problems to fix too lol. Touched up paint looks like crap with little dots of touchup where all the dots of chips are. And plastidip will get old peeling off and repainting every couple months to keep it looking perfect like line-x would look.

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'll ask my installer for a LineX price. I would think ~ $100.00 or so.

PlastiDip is just a DYI thing isn't it ?