Paint protection film

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nordic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Thanks

I did look at Xpel website. Is anyone using their cleaner and sealant? They are saying monthly maintenance with this stuff just wondering if people are or aren't and what are the results.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was done in 2010 and initially I did use their product when cleaning the car regularly. Now I primarily use it when giving the car a good detail and wax. 6 years later and it's still perfect! I had the nose wrapped, 1/3 hood, front fenders, mirrors, rockers, and front of rear fenders. It's amazing how little you see the edges of the wrap! That said, I don't use a pressure washer on the car, and I only hand wash the car...and I take good care to not be super rough on the film edge. Expel is great!

CP72SS

Reaction score
Installing

Did any of you try to put on the xpel product your self or did you bring it to a shop? Just wondered how difficult it really is. My guess is I would have a certified installer do the more tricky parts but might be able to do some of the bigger "flat" areas my self.

Thanks for any info.

raptorwarrior

Reaction score
Did any of you try to put on the xpel product your self or did you bring it to a shop? Just wondered how difficult it really is. My guess is I would have a certified installer do the more tricky parts but might be able to do some of the bigger "flat" areas my self.

Thanks for any info.

I wrapped my '11 Raptor Screw in 3M 1080 vinyl years ago... I would never do it again on my own.

I did hours of research on how to apply the wrap appropriately and I said to myself "Looks doable." It took me about 72 hours to do the whole truck (every weekend I would work on it). Cutting the wrap to fit was the worst part.

I consider myself to be pretty handy and I really enjoy doing projects, but it was tremendously difficult and frustrating.

That being said, Xpel, unlike 3M, is wet apply (you spray the vinyl with a solution) and slide it on the vehicle for proper fitting. Just my opinion, but it may be more forgiving to apply (i.e. sliding it till the fit is just right). I know Xpel has pre-cut pieces you can order from their site, but I am not sure if they have anything yet for the 2017 Raptor. I also know that if you have it installed by a licensed xpel professional, you have a 10 year warranty in case something goes wrong with the wrap (i.e. yellowing, peeling, cracking, etc.)

I am going to get xpel on my 2017 on the hood, front panels, doors, and rear panels, but I am going to pay someone to do it.

Nordic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far, has been really helpful. Has anyone used protection film with a nano coat? Would there be a benefit to the film still if you had a nano coat? Can you even apply the film to a nano surface?

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had 3M on '07 GTI. Took off in '15 to sell and definitely color fading difference on med gray car. The 3M film protected the paint, but looked like crap after few years. Have Xpel on '13 Frontier (bumper, mirrors and half hood), '15 Navigator (front bumper, rockers), and '15 GTR (full hood, full fenders, A-pillars, front edge roof, mirrors). While not as long, the Xpel is holding up real good, and the self-healing really works. I would never do 1/2 hood again or partial fender again after the fading issue with the 3M. The most important thing is a quality installer that you can see their work. Ask to see the pattern (not all use the same patterns) to understand the coverage and specifically ask if they do any cutting on the car....as some do and you will never know it until you remove the film.....I learned the hard way years ago.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Had 3M on '07 GTI. Took off in '15 to sell and definitely color fading difference on med gray car. The 3M film protected the paint, but looked like crap after few years. Have Xpel on '13 Frontier (bumper, mirrors and half hood), '15 Navigator (front bumper, rockers), and '15 GTR (full hood, full fenders, A-pillars, front edge roof, mirrors). While not as long, the Xpel is holding up real good, and the self-healing really works. I would never do 1/2 hood again or partial fender again after the fading issue with the 3M. The most important thing is a quality installer that you can see their work. Ask to see the pattern (not all use the same patterns) to understand the coverage and specifically ask if they do any cutting on the car....as some do and you will never know it until you remove the film.....I learned the hard way years ago.

BTW, it may be 6 months or more before their are patterns for an F150 let alone a Raptor.

harrisb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a guy who full details my cars on a semi annual basis. As I have literally perfect paint under halogen lights (will show everything) I think I would lose that drippy wet look I can achieve with a buffer. Is that a correct assumption? A full proper detail of a full size truck in the spring will eat my weekend.

I'm pretty handy with touching up chips and making them invisible as well. If you do it wrong I find they actually look worse

harrisb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to answer guys, after seeing this video showing the "self healing" of xpel ultimate it makes it up in my mind. It is very easy to see the distortion in the clock and along panel lines, you can actually see some mild orange peal as well. Not for me but to each there own, that would personally drive me insane.
https://youtu.be/2Se11LSRnKA