PA System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the range on the vhf? I was looking at them today and a little interested, just not sure if I'll be using it much..

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on the terrain and band conditions. Anywhere from 20 miles to 50 with a 50w radio and a good properly mounted antenna.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to know about VHF go get your amateur license (Ham). It's only $15 and you learn a lot. I did that and it led me to now build a radio system for my company complete with repeater at our home office.

--John

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to know about VHF go get your amateur license (Ham). It's only $15 and you learn a lot. I did that and it led me to now build a radio system for my company complete with repeater at our home office.

--John

I've been wanting to get it... I guess you don't have to learn Morse code anymore? It's just hard for me to find time with the kids.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Definatly do it man! Then you can put your callsign after your name and be cool :)

John
KD2GSU

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I've been wanting yo do it for years, I've actually studied some morris code a few years ago and had it down pretty good, probably should brush up on it just to know it. Can you do it online these days? I've got all these kids alone so it's hard to get weekends off, I have my ccw renewal next month so jan is out lol.. I've got too many licenses something's always expiring lol. Does ham require a renewal?

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

My house actually came with a ham antenna (says my neighbor, I haven't got up there to take a good look at it) and I'm 6k on a cliff facing LA so I'd probably get great reception. We can see Catalina on a clear day from here when the sun is right.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, at that location you may want to talk to the local ham club about putting in a repeater!

The test is $15 and good for 10 years. You can take it in about 5 minutes. Very easy just get an iPhone app called exam prep to study from.

--John