Outer CV Shaft Overheating (Driver side)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fraptor2010

Reaction score
Good Day everyone,

I am looking for some help. We have tried everything and nothing seems to work.

The driver side outer CV is overheating (part is circled in the picture). After about 45 minutes of casual driving it's hot to touch, so hot that you cannot keep your hand on it .

The other side is not hot at all. Brakes and rotors are the same temp all around.

We have tried 3 different axles, 3 IWE Solinoids and 3 Hub assembly's. (Ive tried aftermarket and factory Parts)

I have replaced all rotors and brakes.

We pressure tested the vac lines and everything is good. No grinding noises at all.

Also have had an alignment done.

My front diff has been removed before, could this be shifted over more to the driver side?

Has anyone had this issue or know anything that we are not checking?

Thanks in advance.

F AXLE.jpg

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good Day everyone,

I am looking for some help. We have tried everything and nothing seems to work.

The driver side outer CV is overheating (part is circled in the picture). After about 45 minutes of casual driving it's hot to touch, so hot that you cannot keep your hand on it .

The other side is not hot at all. Brakes and rotors are the same temp all around.

We have tried 3 different axles, 3 IWE Solinoids and 3 Hub assembly's. (Ive tried aftermarket and factory Parts)

I have replaced all rotors and brakes.

We pressure tested the vac lines and everything is good. No grinding noises at all.

Also have had an alignment done.

My front diff has been removed before, could this be shifted over more to the driver side?

Has anyone had this issue or know anything that we are not checking?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 139790
Ooooo... I know stuff here.

I'm assuming the axle must be spinning in 2WD? What about the passenger side?

What vacuum pressure do you read coming out of the valve where the vacuum tubes connect (upper driver side firewall).
What pressure do you read at the driver IWE connection (disconnect from IWE and read large tube).
What pressure do you get at the passenger IWE?

OP
OP
F

Fraptor2010

Reaction score
Ooooo... I know stuff here.

I'm assuming the axle must be spinning in 2WD? What about the passenger side?

What vacuum pressure do you read coming out of the valve where the vacuum tubes connect (upper driver side firewall).
What pressure do you read at the driver IWE connection (disconnect from IWE and read large tube).
What pressure do you get at the passenger IWE?

Yes spinning in 2WD. same thing occurs in 4WD just heats up faster.

I will get the shop to get me these numbers and get back to you,

Thank you!

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle in the picture doesnt look new. If you have a temp gun check temp on brake rotor compared to the other side. Heat is transmitted from the rotor to the axle. On my Gen 1 I had a bad front left caliper, caused the front left pads to wear much faster then the front right.