Outdoor garage Shelter recommendations???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my house has 2 car garage but having been built in 1958, the garages are not long enough for my Raptor. I extended them as far as setbacks allow and still no go.

Any recommendations for shelters that get bolted to driveway?

I’ve looked at many but most either have crap fabric or are very expensive.

Ty.

PS: should you need an accurate weather forecast, I guarantee it will rain the same day I was my truck.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be a carport off the side of the garage, if you have the ability to add one. It would be real stable, and one side would be shielded from the elements. Free-standing? I'd probably just build something. Cement some 4x4s and go from there. My worry about a more "fabricated" structure would be it not holding up well to high-winds that you will inevitably get as soon as the shelter goes up.

Also, I'm with you on the forecast. Last Saturday I washed my truck because the weather didn't call for rain for a week. As soon as I started drying it, it started storming. Fortunately, I just pulled the truck in the garage and finished drying it off. But the next day, I took my son to Home Depot for some landscaping supplies... Not a cloud in the sky when I parked. Go inside for 10 minutes, come back out and it's pouring. F-ing A.

the1russ

Reaction score
I have a 36'x14' Shelter Logic outdoor shelter. They have optional fabric thickness, I went with the thickest. Whole thing was around $3400 if I remember correctly. Is a quality shelter and I would do it again. It isn't without some issues though... It tends to hold moisture - when it rains, water runs down the sides and seeps under. This evaporates and creates condensation on the inside. I've learned to mitigate by leaving a door slightly open and I got the optional air vents placed in the peaks. Early on, I would go in and the condensation was so bad it was literally like being out in the rain. If you put the shelter on a concrete pad, condensation probably wouldn't be an issue. Also, I have to shovel the snow from the North side. If I don't, the snow slides off the roof and starts to build up. It could get very deep as I live in the foothills outside Denver. Also have had a couple seams on the roof start to stretch and I could see light. Got some special 4" wide tape designed for these things and put over the stretched spots.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. As for the suggestion of a carport off the garage, I had an overhang, for lack of a better word, which I had professionally closed in. Had the old slab broken up and removed, new foundation and slab, walls, door, windows, finished inside with knotty cedar ceiling, RaceDeck floor. It's only large enough for my Porsche however. My sideyard setback rules make it so I cannot make my garages longer than they currently are.

On the above post about the ShelterLogic, thank you for the detailed description and pics. Love the Shepherd too.

I have heard good and bad about different shelters. Some say great, others say the material fell apart quickly.

I'll keep researching and looking here for further suggestions.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. After doing much shopping around and almost pulling the trigger on the shelterlogic, my wife and I spent the better part of 6 hours yesterday emptying our garage. The initial incentive was to clean under the Swisstrax flow-through tile floor she put down. We removed everything from the garage, vacuumed it and then used a leaf blower to get the dust out from under it. It was installed 3 years ago.

We then moved a large french door Samsung fridge over to one side.

Viola, my Raptor fit. It's got about a foot in front and perhaps 8 inches or so behind where the door closes.

I guess the thought of dropping upwards of 3 grand on a shelter got our asses in gear. I will post pics if I get around to it.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. After doing much shopping around and almost pulling the trigger on the shelterlogic, my wife and I spent the better part of 6 hours yesterday emptying our garage. The initial incentive was to clean under the Swisstrax flow-through tile floor she put down. We removed everything from the garage, vacuumed it and then used a leaf blower to get the dust out from under it. It was installed 3 years ago.

We then moved a large french door Samsung fridge over to one side.

Viola, my Raptor fit. It's got about a foot in front and perhaps 8 inches or so behind where the door closes.

I guess the thought of dropping upwards of 3 grand on a shelter got our asses in gear. I will post pics if I get around to it.

So you had enough room, you just didn't want to move the fridge over? lol, that's great.

Glad it fits though. Having the truck in your garage is MUCH better than outside, even if in a carport or effectively a tent.

Mine's probably a tighter fit than yours. I've gotten used to pulling the truck within 1-2" of the forward wall, which leaves me with around 14" between the rear bumper and garage door. Just barely enough room for my fa-- Er, American ass to squeeze through to get to the rest of the garage.