Detailing product reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you guys found anything to remove dried wax and/or muddy water spots in the grey trim? Meg's Black Plastic Trim Restorer works, but requires a lot of scrubbing. I bought some Adam's Tire and Trim cleaner per this thread's recommendation but it doesn't seem to be cleaning much faster than Meg's TR, if at all. I've tried peanut butter, eraser, everything.

I will add to my earlier comment that I was very disappointed with ONR; it either didn't clean well or left scratches. I was gifted with Meguiars Waterless Wash (the spray bottle kind) and man it is great stuff. No scratches even on a pretty dirty truck. Much easier to use than ONR too, as long as you have enough microfibers.

Also, Meg's D300 is fantastic stuff. Cuts quickly, but is easy to control, and doesn't dust. Very clean and easy to use.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the Global Product Manager for the pro side of MEguiar's, I can't help but love this thread. Thanks all for sharing and glad to see so many folks enjoying our stuff.

My entire kit is pretty much either Meguiars or Ammo, been very pleased with both product lines. On the Meguiar's side, my favorites are M21, Gold Class Shampoo, Waterless Wash & Wax, DT300, D300, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Trim Restorer. Your microfibers and pads have been great too. Looking forward to getting Car Wash Plus, APC, Bug and Tar, Glass cleaner, and Rinse Free Wash & Wax soon here.

While you're here, have any recommendations for getting crap out of trim, other than scrubbing with Trim Restorer (which seems to go against directions anyway)? Also, what's the benefit of M205 vs Ultimate Polish vs D302? D300 was a huge upgrade over Ultimate Compound, but I've got a full bottle of UP and it has been great so far.

Last edited:

Lumadar

Reaction score
My entire kit is pretty much either Meguiars or Ammo, been very pleased with both product lines. On the Meguiar's side, my favorites are M21, Gold Class Shampoo, Waterless Wash & Wax, DT300, D300, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Trim Restorer. Your microfibers and pads have been great too. Looking forward to getting Car Wash Plus, APC, Bug and Tar, Glass cleaner, and Rinse Free Wash & Wax soon here.

While you're here, have any recommendations for getting crap out of trim, other than scrubbing with Trim Restorer (which seems to go against directions anyway)? Also, what's the benefit of M205 vs Ultimate Polish vs D302? D300 was a huge upgrade over Ultimate Compound, but I've got a full bottle of UP and it has been great so far.

Good to hear :happy107: As for removing wax residue from trim, you want to start with a dedicated cleaner like D101 APC or the new D107 Citrus Power Cleaner Plus (my favorite) and use a nylon soft to medium bristle brush. Use that to agitate and clean it out. After that, you want to rinse thoroughly with water and THEN follow up with a trim product such as Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer. Ultimate Black doesn't have a lot of cleaners and is more about rejuvinating and sealing the plastic, where as an APC-type product will remove the physical contamination so that the UB can better adhere and restore the color.

As for M205 vs Ultimate Polish, M205 will offer more cut - especially by machine. UP was designed for retail consumers and the main use is by hand, with only a small group using a dual action polisher. M205 is the other way around, and it is going to offer a little bit more correction. Both are solid products, but M205 has more bite.

OP
OP
crash457

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the Global Product Manager for the pro side of MEguiar's, I can't help but love this thread. Thanks all for sharing and glad to see so many folks enjoying our stuff.

Any chance of Meguiar's offering 2" microfiber pads

Lumadar

Reaction score
Any chance of Meguiar's offering 2" microfiber pads

Or 1" pads, with associated machine? So many tiny areas on the Gen 2

Realistically, not right now. The reason we discontinued the 3" pads a few years ago was because that size simply doesn't sell much - and the 1" and 2" would be even lower. Of course, nothing is set in stone and I take a look at things like this on an ongoing basis and see if it makes sense to reconsider.

You never know what the future might bring... (I wish I could tell you about all of the cool stuff coming later this year though... haha )

Sasha4

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ive gotten so many people into your Deep Crystal line for ease of use without buffers/ polishers for the DIY type that's on a limited budget. Ive never heard a bad word back from anyone. I used it for years.

OP
OP
crash457

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't edit my original post so Here it is updated with some new reviews:

Tools

Karcher K5 Premium electric pressure washer - This is a decent electric pressure washer and At ~$250, this 2000psi machine does a good job and will handle anything you need for detailing (not so much for around the house work). It contains a lot of plastic parts (like most electric units) which hurt its long term reliability (I went through 3 electric pressure washers in 5 years). Ultimately I chose to replace it with a more powerful gas powered unit for the quality and longevity.
5 out of 10

Simpson ALH3425-S - I absolutely love this pressure washer. It has a Honda engine, serviceable triplex pump, an aluminum frame and a 35ft hose (typically you only get a 25ft hose). It puts out 3400psi and will handle anything I need to do around the house. It's not cheap at ~$600-800, but it is worth it. The Honda starts on the first pull every time.
8 out of 10

Mosmatic wand and gun with stainless steel swivel and quick connects - This is a must for detailing. The integrated swivel eliminates binding the hose. The quick connects allow me to switch quickly fro a full length with the wand to no wand (ideal for foam cannon and cleaning the wheels). The Mosmatic gun is ~$75-90, and the wand is ~$50. The stainless steel quick connections are ~$40. All in this setup set me back $160. It was worth it. The quality of the Mosmatic gun and wand is incredible.
10 out of 10

MTM Foam cannon - I had used the old style for many years and recently switched to the newer PF22 model. At ~$70, this is a must have item. They do have some cheap knock offs on Amazon. I have not used them and can't comment on there quality, but I am skeptical of the longevity. My original is 5 years old and still works just fine. I like the new PF 22 since you can now change the spray pattern from vertical to horizontal. Also it feels a little more solid.
10 out of 10

Porter Cable 7424XP - This is a great DA polisher and at ~$100, you can't go wrong. There are better units available but at this unit will do everything most will need. This is a short throw DA so it wont correct as fast as a long throw DA like Rupes LHR21, but it's also 1/3 the cost. I still haven't found a reason to upgrade. I use a 5" backing plate and a 3" backing plate with hex logic pads.
8 out of 10

Rupes LHR15 MKII - This is possibly the best polisher yiu can get. This is a long throw DA with a 15mm orbit. It runs so smooth and is so balanced you will get little to know fatigue even after hours of use. I
10 out of 10

McCulloch MC1385 steamer - This comes in handy everywhere, not just in detailing. This steamer easily removes stains (including grease, oil, and ink pen) from carpet and seats. Great for under hood detailing. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.
9.5 out of 10

Cleaners

Meguiar's APC - Amazon has this for less than $25 a gallon. I use 10:1 for interior and painted surfaces and 4:1 for wheels, engine, and undercarriage. I have not tried anyone else's APC, but this will do everything I need, so why switch.
7 out of 10

Adam's Wheel Cleaner - This is a strong cleaner and will cut through brake dust and heavy deposits. As always the quality of the bottles, packaging and customer service with Adam's is incredible. Most wheel cleaners smell bad, but Adam's has managed to make it stink al little less.
7.5 out of 10

Ammo Plum - I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and Adam's wheel cleaner. The odor isn't as strong as Adam's but that odor is less pleasant than Adam's. Ammo NYC, like Adam's has great packaging and bottles. This edges out Adams only because the odor isn't as strong.
8 out of 10

Nextzett Colortec wheel cleaner - My favorite wheel cleaner by far. The odor is absolutely disgusting but it cleans better than anything I've used. If you can stand the smell it's worth it.
9 out of 10

Adam's Tire Cleaner - This stuff just plain works. I rarely have to use more than one application to get the tires clean. I can't imagine anyone else makes a better tire cleaner.
10 out of 10

Stoners Invisible Glass - Decent glass cleaner but not the best. It is ammonia free and safe on tinted glass, but not the most powerful cleaner.
7 out of 10

Windex- that's right, just like you dad used. It's been around forever, because it works. Be sure you get the ammonia free one of you have tinted windows.
9 out of 10

Meguair's D120 Glass cleaner- You can get a gallon of concentrate for ~$20 and it dilutes 10:1. That's 11 gallons for $20. It's ammonia free and has pleasant grape smell, It's the only thing I've found that works better than Windex.
10 out of 10

Soaps

Chemical Guys Maxi Suds - Great grape scent, good foaming and won't strip wax. Downsides are the foam doesn't last long and isn't as thick as others I've used.
6 out of 10

Chemical Guys Mr. Pink - Not much different that Maxi Suds. Different color and scent.
6 out of 10

Chemical Guys Honeydew - I've tried other and always seem to come back to this one. Great foam and works well with the foam cannon. The price is hard to beat. $25 for a gallon on Amazon.
9 out of 10

Adam's Car Wash Shampoo - The best soap I've used. Great foaming and lasting suds. This one edges out CG Honeydew slightly on the foam side but the price hurts it slightly. Bottom line- if you're ordering stuff from Adam's, add this to you order, otherwise you can make do with CG Honeydew.
9.5 out of 10

Optimum No Rinse - This is my go to wash for the cold winter months. I can wash my truck in the garage with just 1 gallon of water. I was skeptical at first but it works and will not scratch the paint. I still prefer a standard two bucket wash when I can, but this bridges the gap when the weather is too cold.
8 out of 10

Trim/Tire Dressing

Adam's Tire Shine - I like the ease of a spray bottle, but it streaks a little if you don't even it out. This leaves a slightly oily residue. It gives a durable glossy finish, but I prefer a slightly less shine.
7 out of 10

Adam's VRT - Nice thick and gives a nice matte finish. Dries completely with no residue. Great for trim but is difficult to apply to tires with heavy side lugs. This was my go to for tires for a while. I still love it for trim.
8 out of 10

Adam's In and Out spay - Basically VRT in aerosol form. Works great for grills and hard to reach areas.
8.5 out of 10

Chemical Guys VRP - Almost identical to Adam's VRT with a little more gloss. Slightly cheaper than Adam's.
8 out of 10

Chemical Guys Black on Black
- Almost identical to Adam's In and Out spray with a little more gloss. Slightly cheaper than Adam's.
8.5 out of 10

Ammo Mud - This may be my favorite tire dressing ever. It is a little thinner than VRT and spreads easier. It dries to the touch with almost no residue. It leaves a satin finish and last very well.
10 out of 10

Drying aids, Detail spray and spray wax

Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss - I really wanted to like this product. I like the idea but it never seemed to finish out for me. I ended up with streaks that required more buffing that I though was necessary. Other's on here swear by it, but it just doesn't work for me (remember how I said use what works for you).
4 out of 10

Ammo Hydrate - I have had really good success with this drying agent. It works well even in cold temperatures. It doesn't streak and it seams to make the towel soak up the water instead of just pushing it around on the surface. It's very easy to use.
8.5 out of 10

Meguiar's Spray wax - at $20 for a gallon on Amazon, this stuff is great value for money. I use this for almost everything. It's a great spray wax but it also works as a interior detailer, leather protectant, and even glass sealant. It's the Swiss army knife of detailing.
9 out of 10

Meguiar's Spray Detailer - This stuff is cheap and makes a great drying aid. I've discovered better detail sprays but this was my go to for a long time. I still use this as my clay bar lubrication since it does not leave a wax residue.
6 out of 10

Garry Dean's Infinite Use Detail Juice - I love this stuff. It seems expensive until you consider the dilution ratios. 8oz is $25 on Amazon but it will make 3gal. This is a must have item.
9 out of 10

Compound, polish, and clay

Meguiar's M105/M205 - This combo is all I need for paint correction. There are a lot of different compounds and polishes out there, but none as versatile as this. M105 does dust up if you work it to long or don't clean out your pad regularly.
8 out of 10

Meguiar's Final cut - I no longer see a need for this, I can get the same results with M205.
5 out of 10

Menzerna FG400 - Not as much cut as Meguiar's M105. but is doesn't dust and it will finish down better and doesn't micro mar the paint. It could be used as a 1 step polish8.5 out of 10

Jescar Correcting Compound - Slightly better cut than Menzerna and a longer working time. Does not dust and finishes down better than Menzerna.9 out of 10

Sonax Perfect Finish - Best one step polish. It has enough cut for mild paint correction and finished down to a beautiful finish. If you only have mild swirls, this is all you'll need.10 out of 10

Meguair's clay bar
- There isn't much difference in clay bars. They work but I've found a better option. I still use this traditional clay bars fro glass and wheels.
7 out of 10

Nanoskin Autoscrub - Way better than a traditional clay bar. Reusable and cleanable, If you drop it on the ground, rinse it off and go back to using it.
10 out of 10

Coatings, sealants, and wax

Ammo Reflex - I really like this coating but will have to reserve my judgment until I can see it's durability. It goes on easy and wipes off easy. It is flexible, unlike typical silicon dioxide coatings. It can be layered and is supposed to last 1yr. I think this is the only true user friendly coating for the DIY guy.
9.5 out of 10

Ammo Skin - I like that this sealant can be layered for multiple coats but I found it difficult to apply and remove. It is very grabby and didn't spread easily. It left a shadowing effect after removal. This fades after it sits in the sun for a few hours. I assume this is because it uses the heat to auto level. It does require a 24hr window before a recoat unlike 12hrs with a lot of other sealants.
4 out of 10

Meguiar's M21 sealant - This applies very easily by hand or with a DA. It flashes off after 15 minutes and removal is very easy. It can be recoated or topped with wax after 12hrs. Lasts 6 months. Still my go to sealant.
9.5 out of 10

Jescar Powerlock + - Applies very easily by hand or with a DA. It flashes off after 3-5 minutes and removal is very super easy. It can be recoated or topped with wax after 3hrs. Lasts 6-8 months. My new go to sealant.
10 out of 10

Meguiar's M26 wax - Good average liquid wax. It applies with little effort but works best when applied with a DA. Wipes off easy with very little dusting, It does turn white if you get it in to cracks or on rubber trim. Last about 6 months or 12 washes, whichever comes first.
6.5 out of 10

Adam's Buttery Wax - Better than average liquid wax. Applies easily and seems to work best when applied by hand. No dusting and doesn't turn trim white. Longevity seems to be less than Meguiar's, at about 4 months or 8 washes.
7 out of 10

S100/P21S - You can spend the extra money on P21S, but why? S100 is the same formula just marketed for motorcycles. It applies easily and comes off easily. There is no flash time, unlike most carnauba waxes. Just wipe in and buff off. I usually do one panel at a time. You do have to buff it slightly with even pressure or you will get smearing. Last 2-3 months or 4-6 washes depending on the temperature. It seams to degrade faster in the winter.
8 out of 10

Solution Finish Trim Restore - This can bring back black plastic trim and even fix spots that are stained from wax or polish. It is a permanent restoration unlike other products I've tried, like Mother's Back 2 Black which comes off with the next wash.
9 out of 10

Wolf's Nano Trim Sealant - This is expensive but worth it. It goes on easy and lasts for 6-8 months. It will keep plastic trim looking new and helps stop the fading from UV.
9 out of 10

Wolf's Nano Glass Sealant - This is also expensive but worth it. It goes on easy and lasts for up to a year if you prep the surface correctly. It makes the glass extremely hydrophobic. I rarely have to use my wipers anymore..
10 out of 10

P&S Beadmaker - I was very skeptical of this product at first but it is definitely a must have product. I used this as a drying aid because I assumed is was like a detail spray or spray wax, but it is so much more. It is a synthetic sealant. It goes on easy and comes off easier. It can be used on a wet or dry surface. It makes paint deeper and as smooth as glass. It is fairly inexpensive but you do use a fair amount of product. It lasts several months without losing any protection.
10 out of 10

Interior cleaners

Meguiar's Interior Detail Spray - This seams to be little more than a mixture of their spray wax and their spray detailer. It works but I don't find much need for it since their spray wax will do the same thing. Not a bad product, just unnecessary.
6.5 out of 10

Lexol leather cleaner - I have yet to find anything this can't clean. It's powerful and still safe. It comes in a spray but is almost a cream consistency which makes it easy to spread and work into the surface for a good deep clean. It's easy to work with and doesn't leave any residue it does have a strong chemical odor though.
9 out of 10

Adam's leather cleaner - a very good leather cleaner but the Lexol is just a little better (and cheaper). Adams is a liquid and seams to saturate the towel and not spread as easily as the Lexol. Adam's does not have a strong odor.
8 out of 10

Lexol leather conditioner - This stuff doesn't provide as much conditioning as I'd like but it does a decent enough job. It's fairly cheap, less that $10 on Amazon. Surprisingly, unlike the Lexol cleaner, this has almost no odor.
7 out of 10

Adam's leather conditioner - This is a very good conditioner and is super easy to work into the leather and seems to last very well. It does have a pretty strong smell, but it's not a bad smell.
9 out of 10

Chemical Guys Stripper Scent - I'm not usually one for air fresheners, but I do like this one. Before you ask, it does not smell like disappointment and broken dreams. It actually smells like a mix of vanilla with a hint of baby powder. My wife laughed when I bought it but she get mad if I don't spray it in her car after I wash it.
11 out of 10