Our Engine’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cam phaser issue is separate and aside from chain stretch which causes cam phasing issues, so this is not incorrect, just another cam phasing problem.
I recently had a older eco truck in the shop with stretched chains and of course the cost of repairs was more than the customer could afford. All I know is my Raptor is getting the oil changed much much sooner than Ford recommends

JMEngineer

Reaction score
“Mobile 1 is pure junk”. What makes you believe that?

I can't speak for the EcoBoost platform specifically but I own a few high output DI turbo cars and based on all the UOA's I reviewed for those platforms, Mobil 1 synthetic definitely didn't perform as well as several of its competitors.
The oils I trust are Rotella-T6, Pennzoil Platinum, and Liqui-Moly Top Tec. Some of the more premium brands also performed well but IMO the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Mobil 1" what? There used to be Mobil and Mobil 1.

Now there are 50 differnt types of Mobil 1. M1 used to be all truly synthetic PAO, until Syntec ruined that for everyone.

So now you have the cheap base M1 synthetic that's just highly refined crude, IE the Syntec way. They also have high mileage interval PAO oil that is still the good stuff.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I changed 1st oil at 500 mi, 2nd at 1500 mi, 3rd at 3000 mi, 4th at 5000 mi....currently at 6400 mi and will be changing at every 4500 mi. I had 4 gens of F150s since 2000 and never experienced cam phaser or any other engines issues.

I have had 4 EB 3.5's, and my brother in law has one as well. No motor issues ever, and we always do full synthetic 10k oil changes

2013 SHO EB-3.5 sold at 50,*** miles
2014 Explorer Sport EB-3.5 sold at 110,*** miles

2012 F150 EB-3.5 has 120,*** miles
2018 Explorer Sport EB-3.5 has 19,*** miles
2018 Raptor EB-3.5 has 20,*** miles

Spend your money how you want. But I have experience with 5 of these motors using 10k changes. You are in no danger of breaking things following recommendations.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mobil 1 synthetic definitely didn't perform as well as several of its competitors.

Well....I have only been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since 1992. 500,000+ miles in 30 years with no engine issues across 16 vehicles gives me all the confidence I need.

just sayin.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....I have only been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since 1992. 500,000+ miles in 30 years with no engine issues across 16 vehicles gives me all the confidence I need.

just sayin.

same here - I have only used Mobil 1 full synthetics in every vehicle I have owned. 5k intervals and never one problem. That includes 40k miles on an LS1 making 500 rwhp NA.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We often tighten fluid change intervals on these trucks and other supercharged vehicles, as the only downside is a little more cost over time. I don't think an engine has ever blown up from having fresh clean oil in it, unless there was another problem in the first place.

We had a customer decide it was smart to not do an oil change on his brand new 17' 3.5 king ranch. Needless to say, he made it 17K before the engine failed.

JMEngineer

Reaction score
same here - I have only used Mobil 1 full synthetics in every vehicle I have owned. 5k intervals and never one problem. That includes 40k miles on an LS1 making 500 rwhp NA.

I'm not saying Mobil 1 is junk. I'm simply stating a fact based on my previous research for other applications - that several Mobil 1 competitors regularly performed better based on actual UOA's in those applications.

500whp sounds like a big number but from a 5.7L engine that's only 88 hp/L. I'm confident the oil is under more stress in most of my vehicles, which range from 100 to 160 hp/L for N/A engines and 150 to 185+ hp/L for turbo gas engines - plus a turbo diesel making 100 hp/L (all whp numbers)
I put a lot of stress on my engines so I did my research and based my oil choice on real data

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying Mobil 1 is junk. I'm simply stating a fact based on my previous research for other applications - that several Mobil 1 competitors regularly performed better based on actual UOA's in those applications.

500whp sounds like a big number but from a 5.7L engine that's only 88 hp/L. I'm confident the oil is under more stress in most of my vehicles, which range from 100 to 160 hp/L for N/A engines and 150 to 185+ hp/L for turbo gas engines - plus a turbo diesel making 100 hp/L (all whp numbers)
I put a lot of stress on my engines so I did my research and based my oil choice on real data
Where did the Amsoil place in your research?