Ordering raptor out of state strange issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobW33

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is fascinating. Figured it would be worth sharing my experience. I purchased a 2018 in October from a dealer in Minnesota - I live here in California. They had almost got burned by a guy who tried to purchase 2 Raptors earlier in the year who intended to ship them to the Middle East. These trucks are worth a lot out of the country. Here's what I was told:
  1. If I buy a Raptor, the dealer must handle the title and registration. This is to prevent unwanted export and the dealer needs to make sure they don't get in hot water with Ford.
  2. Only special order (not orders for inventory) can include CA emissions if you are a dealer outside of the 5+ states that all require CA emissions.
  3. The dealer could not sell me the truck and have it titled, registered, and delivered to CA if it came from their inventory because their inventory trucks could not include CA emissions.
So I was stuck in a bit of a pickle. I ended up registering the truck in Montana (I have a vacation property there). I did need to show proof of the address by showing a utility bill with my name on it. Since the dealer had to take care of the registration they hired a 3rd party who sent all the paperwork to MT. Montana is a "walk in" registration state, so I ended up walking into the DMV to pick up my plates. The truck never set foot in Montana.

Now that the truck is registered in MT and in California I have a very short period of time to properly register it in CA. I can assure you that every single Raptor has CA emissions installed on it. The emissions label on the hood shows that it is CARB compliant. All I have to do now is get the truck weighed, inspected, and pay a crap load of ridiculous CA fees and taxes and I'm all good. There is no such thing as a black listed VIN. It's a visual inspection of the emissions label that is required. For you dealers in the so called "brown" states take a look at the label. The dealer in MN was very surprised. It's my belief that CA is taxing manufacturers for their stupid CARB compliance and this is just a clever way for Ford to save a few bucks. I might be wrong but that would make sense.

I've also seen other dealers on this site explaining that they know how to work around this process, but the dealer I worked with in MN had no clue what was required. So the easiest way for us CA residents to get a deal is to find a dealer who has experience shipping non CA emissions vehicles to CA (not many from what I can tell), or get a vehicle from a state that requires CA emissions, or order one from an out of state dealer who can then specify CA emissions on the special order.

I got mine for $100 over invoice so it was well worth the trouble. And I really enjoyed the 2000 mile drive to CA!

OP
OP
N

NorCalGen2

Reaction score
Final update,

I ended up finding a truck a couple hours north of where I’m from for just under msrp. It wasn’t the 19 I wanted but that particular year and option combo was proving difficult to find and this truck has every option I wanted, minus the new shocks & beadlocks of course. First impressions, she’s a beaut. Everyone just marvels at how massively wide these trucks are. The interior is nice, a direct competitor with the GMC’s I’m used to driving. Not a fan of a console shifter personally, they don’t belong in trucks imo but I can deal with it. The back space is huge which is a big plus, miles ahead of any GM twin I’ve driven. All of the amenities make this a very well behaved and appointed truck. So far I’m really liking it and can’t wait to do some small mods. (Hopefully they stay “small” because I’ve been down that rabbit hole more than once). Finally the sound. Well I knew what I was getting into coming to a v6. It’s manageable, definitely not putting an exhaust on this truck as they sound like ass imo. I’m coming from a 6.2 with long tubes and corsa exhaust. That truck screamed so loud and lovely at the same time that it’s hard not to be a bit disappointed by this trucks sound. The sound doesn’t match the look at all, but this isn’t a v6 vs v8 debate, after all we all know V8’s sound much better. The truck itself is awesome and plenty quick for as big as it is and I’m very excited to put some miles on this big girl. Anyways, here’s a pic, thanks to everyone who contributed and gave me their .02¢. Thanks again all for the welcome and help.

Edit* spelling errors as I’m clealry still not fully awake.

B491AA8E-6797-4606-BDB8-01F99F9456D3.jpeg

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought my truck from Team Ford in Las Vegas, but I actually special ordered it because of the options I did NOT want...it came with all the CA stickers and CA certified...
I was 100% responsible for all the fees/taxes when getting the truck back to CA...I had to get it smogged also...

BTW When I picked up the trk in Vegas all I did was pay the MSRP and document fee and off I went...not signing ANYTHING about not re-selling, or was it ever mentioned...

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is fascinating. Figured it would be worth sharing my experience. I purchased a 2018 in October from a dealer in Minnesota - I live here in California. They had almost got burned by a guy who tried to purchase 2 Raptors earlier in the year who intended to ship them to the Middle East. These trucks are worth a lot out of the country. Here's what I was told:
  1. If I buy a Raptor, the dealer must handle the title and registration. This is to prevent unwanted export and the dealer needs to make sure they don't get in hot water with Ford.
  2. Only special order (not orders for inventory) can include CA emissions if you are a dealer outside of the 5+ states that all require CA emissions.
  3. The dealer could not sell me the truck and have it titled, registered, and delivered to CA if it came from their inventory because their inventory trucks could not include CA emissions.
So I was stuck in a bit of a pickle. I ended up registering the truck in Montana (I have a vacation property there). I did need to show proof of the address by showing a utility bill with my name on it. Since the dealer had to take care of the registration they hired a 3rd party who sent all the paperwork to MT. Montana is a "walk in" registration state, so I ended up walking into the DMV to pick up my plates. The truck never set foot in Montana.

Now that the truck is registered in MT and in California I have a very short period of time to properly register it in CA. I can assure you that every single Raptor has CA emissions installed on it. The emissions label on the hood shows that it is CARB compliant. All I have to do now is get the truck weighed, inspected, and pay a crap load of ridiculous CA fees and taxes and I'm all good. There is no such thing as a black listed VIN. It's a visual inspection of the emissions label that is required. For you dealers in the so called "brown" states take a look at the label. The dealer in MN was very surprised. It's my belief that CA is taxing manufacturers for their stupid CARB compliance and this is just a clever way for Ford to save a few bucks. I might be wrong but that would make sense.

I've also seen other dealers on this site explaining that they know how to work around this process, but the dealer I worked with in MN had no clue what was required. So the easiest way for us CA residents to get a deal is to find a dealer who has experience shipping non CA emissions vehicles to CA (not many from what I can tell), or get a vehicle from a state that requires CA emissions, or order one from an out of state dealer who can then specify CA emissions on the special order.

I got mine for $100 over invoice so it was well worth the trouble. And I really enjoyed the 2000 mile drive to CA!
Why not just leave it registered to your vacation home? And save a ton on taxes?

Raptor916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final update,

I ended up finding a truck a couple hours north of where I’m from for just under msrp. It wasn’t the 19 I wanted but that particular year and option combo was proving difficult to find and this truck has every option I wanted, minus the new shocks & beadlocks of course. First impressions, she’s a beaut. Everyone just marvels at how massively wide these trucks are. The interior is nice, a direct competitor with the GMC’s I’m used to driving. Not a fan of a console shifter personally, they don’t belong in trucks imo but I can deal with it. The back space is huge which is a big plus, miles ahead of any GM twin I’ve driven. All of the amenities make this a very well behaved and appointed truck. So far I’m really liking it and can’t wait to do some small mods. (Hopefully they stay “small” because I’ve been down that rabbit hole more than once). Finally the sound. Well I knew what I was getting into coming to a v6. It’s manageable, definitely not putting an exhaust on this truck as they sound like ass imo. I’m coming from a 6.2 with long tubes and corsa exhaust. That truck screamed so loud and lovely at the same time that it’s hard not to be a bit disappointed by this trucks sound. The sound doesn’t match the look at all, but this isn’t a v6 vs v8 debate, after all we all know V8’s sound much better. The truck itself is awesome and plenty quick for as big as it is and I’m very excited to put some miles on this big girl. Anyways, here’s a pic, thanks to everyone who contributed and gave me their .02¢. Thanks again all for the welcome and help.

Edit* spelling errors as I’m clealry still not fully awake.

View attachment 115757

Nice truck. I was looking at the leadfoots they had there and was getting a solid deal on it, but ended up ordering a 19.

OP
OP
N

NorCalGen2

Reaction score
Nice truck. I was looking at the leadfoots they had there and was getting a solid deal on it, but ended up ordering a 19.

Hey thanks man, I originally wanted the 19 and that fancy new suspension but I have a deadline to purchase and I was cutting it too close. They’re decent guys up in Corning and have a nice selection. However, congrats on the 19 sir I don’t think you’ll be disappointed one bit.

SoCalCFP

Reaction score
I need to find out where you buy your Raptor $200 above invoice. I’m in SoCal and didn’t want to pay over MSRP so I got one for MSRP from Chris G. At Team Ford in Vegas. I flew in, signed and drove it home. I don’t plan to sell as it is such a practical family truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I spoke to someone at team ford and wanted various fees. Do have contact info for Chris? Thanks

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spoke to someone at team ford and wanted various fees. Do have contact info for Chris? Thanks
Only fee's I paid were a document fee...according to Nevada the dealer can charge a document fee, but the fee has to be the same for every vehicle they sell....