OPINIONS ON MONTANA REGISTRATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may think or convinced yourself it's legal, but I highly doubt it is. Definitely unethical.
Early morning in Langley i see …

So is confiscation of wealth once the electorate spends beyond its means and unrepresentative of its constitutes that employ them.

That said id keep better opsec regarding internet posting on this OP.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may think or convinced yourself it's legal, but I highly doubt it is. Definitely unethical.
If he used any part of our government as his ethical model, he'd steal the truck, never register it, and buy off any cop lucky enough to pull him over.

It's a game. The game has rules. The rules are called laws. The umpires are called judges. The rules are made by unethical scumbags influenced by unethical industry to benefit themselves. If you're fortunate enough to be in a position to use a rule to your advantage, why not? The masses who think their vote counts don't care. Why should you?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My R is built and scheduled for mid January delivery. My wife and I had a spirited "debate" on the registration of this truck. I already have a Montana LLC for another ridiculously expensive car but it is rarely driven. I thought that since I already have it all set up, I might as well register the R in there as well but she balked at that notion and said since this will be my daily driver, I should suck it up and pay the sales tax. I say that it would be stupid to not use the loophole and save myself about $10,000 in sales tax. I pay plenty of tax. I am surely paying "my fair share" every year. She said she will be embarrassed to drive in a truck that had a Montana license plate. Please settle this "discussion" with some chiming in. Thank you. (New world problems)

Please register it in Montana. You already know the game and play it wisely.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Correct. The “sales” tax as commonly referred, is more precisely called a sales and use tax. The laws are typically worded such once you establish residency, you have nn number of days to register your vehicles in the state. All of them have various mechanisms to enforce compliance.
So is confiscation of wealth once the electorate spends beyond its means and unrepresentative of its constitutes that employ them.
The electorate keeps sending the confiscators back to office to write more laws, so it’s not unrepresentative.
It's a game. The game has rules. The rules are called laws. The umpires are called judges. The rules are made by unethical scumbags influenced by unethical industry to benefit themselves.
THIS. Edit to add: The rules are also enforced by unethical scumbags, which creates a self sustaining ecosystem of unethical scumbags.
If you're fortunate enough to be in a position to use a rule to your advantage, why not?
The consequences of getting caught.
Decades ago, I got into a long running battle with MD motive vehicle association. It started when I cancelled insurance on one of my cars, only the agent cancelled my policy entirely, so for about 20 days, I had no insurance, which they happily notified MVA of. At the time, that was a 200 dollar fine + 5 dollars per day over 30 days in perpetuity - with no cap.

As soon as I got the check I called and asked WTH, and got insured, but, that landed me on MD’s “prove you have insurance list” - which wasn’t supposed to exist, so every few months I’d have to get forms from an insurance agent showing coverage, which got complicated once I bought and sold a bunch of cars. I had to do this once and the guy in front of me was rather obviously dirt poor.

Dude was trying to register a 70’s Dodge Dart Swinger he paid $200 for. Only he’d racked up $1700 in compulsory insurance violation fines. He could not register a vehicle or renew his license until the fine was satisfied. Not sure what he ended up doing there.

If your license and vehicle registration don’t “match” it creates suspicion. Perfectly ok if you are never detained for traffic violations of suspicion of crime, like a “high value vehicle” transiting a “known drug/weapon/human smuggling area” Then it’s “Gee Mr. Highmucketymuck, your license says you live in Bakersfield, but ... your fancy truck is an LLC registered in Bozeman? License expiration shows you got your license 2 years ago, where do you live? How long?

But they won’t bother with sales tax -- Oh yes they will. Traffic cops are part of the same game @GCATX mentioned and they are all in.

Save money if you can. But do it smartly and don’t save 10k now to be fined 15k later, or whatever the possible outcome is.