One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you sit with the engine running at idle? Even 5-10 minutes can suck the hell out if your avg mpg, regardless if fuel type.
At the speed limit, zero headwind, and minimal periods of idle, I've seen anywhere from 14.5-15 mpg on 87. 89 (10% ethanol) usually yields 13.9 - 14.3. Slightly worse, but at the price difference about the same per mile.

Haven't tried 91 yet, but will probably start using it soon as I'm thinking about Whipple/Roushin my beast. ;-)

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Da da ta da. E-30 I'm telling ya it's good stuff. 95 octane any where from 11 to 14 mpg or better. .10 cents cheaper cleaner just some good gas.

integrity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL was waiting for Wilson to chime in! I was taught and believe you should try to use the best cleanest gas for your vehicle, (Especially the Raptor), regardless of price. Keep the lines cleaner and save money for the long hall..

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference in horsepower is only applicable if you are at that 'rated' RPM.

I would like to see a torque chart, at various RPM, of all 3 octanes.

Not possitive if this is true, :birgits_tiredcoffeebut my brother use to drive a tanker
and said that the mid-grade & premium have more fuel additives
in them. Suppose to keep you injectors cleaner. :shrug:

HiTechRedneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what y'all are saying - I never use cheap gas. I've been playing with vehicles since I was 14 and now am 63. My wife is 60 and drives a Shelby GT500. I've built drag racing motors and even dabbled in winged sprints.
Before computers I was a hell of a tuner myself.
My point is that according to the math (forget how you drive, sit in traffic etc.) if you can get 1.5 - 2 more miles per gallon using 91 (in my case where 93 is not available) the actual cost per mile driven can be the same or maybe even less.
Using crappy gas can definitely cause issues with varnish, carbon build up, detonation etc.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See e-30 is the additive it burns Clean, with more octane and is 10 cent or more cheaper. Why not use it, I have over 10,000 miles now. Getting over 11 mpg I let it worm up good its cold with no garage. Last summer was getting 14 but its to hard not to do any wot so I think 14 mpg is pretty darn good. E-30 start asking for it.