Olympus light review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just wanted to throw this out there for the group. I bought a set of the Olympus long throw pods during black friday last year. Now before the flames begin, this was more of an experiment than the money aspect, and the company had not shown how much a group of ****** bags they were.

I wanted to post this to warn all to stay clear. The light output is really not that bad, but the finish is absolutely horrible. I didn't have any complaints when the truck was garaged 90% of the time. Now that I am at a work site everyday and can't garage the truck (recently moved, not a big enough garage) the finish is already basically shot. Since May the finish has oxidized to the point that I am considering taking them off to either toss or possibly disassemble and powdercoat.

Soooo, for anyone that might still be actually considering buying these light cannon knock offs, please do yourself a favor and steer clear.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
2.png

D

Deleted member 12951

Well just wanted to throw this out there for the group. I bought a set of the Olympus long throw pods during black friday last year. Now before the flames begin, this was more of an experiment than the money aspect, and the company had not shown how much a group of ****** bags they were.

I wanted to post this to warn all to stay clear. The light output is really not that bad, but the finish is absolutely horrible. I didn't have any complaints when the truck was garaged 90% of the time. Now that I am at a work site everyday and can't garage the truck (recently moved, not a big enough garage) the finish is already basically shot. Since May the finish has oxidized to the point that I am considering taking them off to either toss or possibly disassemble and powdercoat.

Soooo, for anyone that might still be actually considering buying these light cannon knock offs, please do yourself a favor and steer clear.

Somewhat old news. They were removed as a vendor on FRF and Birdman posted up some emails between the two that can be seen if you are a Supporting Member. Reading some of those emails are hilarious at best and worth the admission of being a supporting member.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f247/issue-order-40007/index6.html#post835533

OP
OP
nsdq3

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the drama with olympus is old news. I was hesitant to post it as I knew all the usual suspects would come out to take their jabs. What I have not read was anything related to the quality and durability of the light, specifically the finish. I know the past issues with the customer service, wrong items, etc. is old news.

What you guys don't know is I have received quite a few PMs on here and FB over the past couple of months with guys still asking about them. Of course they are not going to post it as it only takes a few quick searches to see it is now a taboo subject on here, but the fact remains that they did seem to be a decent, lower cost alternative for a while (which it is obvious they are not) and regardless if others will admit it or not, some are at least still inquiring about them.

Hell at the very least if some poor bastard searches "olympus lights" on google it might bring them here to see they are crap.

Anyone like I said, throwing it out there,

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They hosed me too. Gave me the wrong dimensions on their curved bar. Charged me the shipping to return it and didn't credit my original freight. Luckily the Rigid dimensions matched up to what I was given for the olympus bar so I didn't have to re-tab and re-coat the bumper. Glad they're banned.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be fair the replacement canons I received have ok light output, but the finish is starting to fade. They are outside all the time and have been through 1 Chicago winter so far. I have yellow tint film on the front lense so not worried about the lense being damaged.

Would I buy again? Probably if the company was not a bag of ***** and treated its customers with respect.

treatcg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality was horrible. My pods were received chipped and scratched. They also had finger prints on the inside. When I sent them back they claimed they couldn't find any of the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have noticed that the casing on my Olympus pods are starting to fade. Eventually I'll take 'em off and respray them. I have no problem doing that, it's not like I spent a ton of money on them.