OEM KO2s Cupping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My OEM Tires have about 20k miles on them and just went in to get the rims swapped over for the winter when the tech said that a few of the tires were cupping. They said that rotating them generally fixes it but I’m wondering what causes it to begin with? Some of the sites say that bad shocks can cause it but on a newer vehicle it’s not typical.

Is this a sign of an issue or things to come? Or could it be an easy fix like alignment? First time dealing with this type of issue so any advice is appreciated.

OKflyswatter

Reaction score
I am far from a tire wear expert, but I was never super impressed by the KO tires on my Gen2. They wore in strange patterns and much quicker than I anticipated. If your pressures are all good and they are rotated, it might just be the tires. That said, I'll listen as the experts chime in.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am far from a tire wear expert, but I was never super impressed by the KO tires on my Gen2. They wore in strange patterns and much quicker than I anticipated. If your pressures are all good and they are rotated, it might just be the tires. That said, I'll listen as the experts chime in.
What tires do you prefer over BFGs?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My OEM Tires have about 20k miles on them and just went in to get the rims swapped over for the winter when the tech said that a few of the tires were cupping. They said that rotating them generally fixes it but I’m wondering what causes it to begin with? Some of the sites say that bad shocks can cause it but on a newer vehicle it’s not typical.

Is this a sign of an issue or things to come? Or could it be an easy fix like alignment? First time dealing with this type of issue so any advice is appreciated.
How often do you rotate? Its like max 5 k miles per rotation from the very beginning otherwise they get choppy loud and annoying asf. Hell you may even need to re balance after 25 k on mud at tires. If you never rotate your tires its on you. Don't go down shock and suspension rabbit holes.

OKflyswatter

Reaction score
What tires do you prefer over BFGs?
I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers and loved them. I did three runs with them and had WAY less tire wear than I did on two runs with the KO2s. I felt like the Nitto was much more smooth in the dirt and bumpy stuff. I had to replace the KO2 after 30,000 miles and they were destroyed. 45,000 miles were on the Nittos when I sold the truck and they were still doing great. I will say that the KO2s had a little more bite on the dry pavement and gripped in the rain better as well.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you rotate? It’s like max 5 k miles per rotation from the very beginning otherwise they get choppy loud and annoying asf. Hell you may even need to re balance after 25 k on mud at tires. If you never rotate your tires it’s on you. Don't go down shock and suspension rabbit holes.
I’ve rotated the tires 4 times since I’ve owned the truck so I guess it’s about 5k miles between so far. I’ll make it a point to rotate them just before the 5k mile mark each time. I have a rim buying problem so I generally rotate them each time I mount new rims. On my third set now ‍♂️