Odd reverse steering & suspension problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
My 2012 used to do that when in reverse, turning the wheel to the right while backing out. A chatter noise. Only at low speed both in reverse and forward when turning wheel to right. Always thought it might be a tire (37's) rubbing wheel well.

I've since then upgraded my suspension, new coil springs on front, leaf springs on rear and shock rebuilds all around. Actually went down a perch position on the front. Never found out what it was, but, it doesn't do it anymore. It quit doing it after suspension work while I still had old tires on (tread getting low), and hasn't done it since, even with new 37's and high tread.

I always thought it was a tire rubbing or a loose tie rod bolt. Never figured it out.

OP
OP
CleverGirl_

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
My 2012 used to do that when in reverse, turning the wheel to the right while backing out. A chatter noise. Only at low speed both in reverse and forward when turning wheel to right. Always thought it might be a tire (37's) rubbing wheel well.

I've since then upgraded my suspension, new coil springs on front, leaf springs on rear and shock rebuilds all around. Actually went down a perch position on the front. Never found out what it was, but, it doesn't do it anymore. It quit doing it after suspension work while I still had old tires on (tread getting low), and hasn't done it since, even with new 37's and high tread.

I always thought it was a tire rubbing or a loose tie rod bolt. Never figured it out.
Thank you for the info! I plan on going back to low perch once I rebuild the shocks and add some springs. I'm thinking something isn't greased or torqued correctly as it was a local off road shop who did it all.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get that tire off the ground, take your hands rotate, push, pull, and yank on the tire. It could be a lot of things. look to see if the spring ends are properly seated too.

If you are not going to do long travel ever.. I'd put in some uni ball upper arms. Check the lower balls, tie rod ends, CVs, and wheel bearings. Probably not the bearing hub unit at 90k but an easy check.

I'm at almost 210,0000 and at around 170lk I replaced upper arms and shocks. Everything else had fresh stock replacements... I put in new uni balls on the uppers at 208,000

OP
OP
CleverGirl_

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I'd get that tire off the ground, take your hands rotate, push, pull, and yank on the tire. It could be a lot of things. look to see if the spring ends are properly seated too.

If you are not going to do long travel ever.. I'd put in some uni ball upper arms. Check the lower balls, tie rod ends, CVs, and wheel bearings. Probably not the bearing hub unit at 90k but an easy check.

I'm at almost 210,0000 and at around 170lk I replaced upper arms and shocks. Everything else had fresh stock replacements... I put in new uni balls on the uppers at 208,000
Much obliged, truck is sitting in our barn due to a huge crack in the windshield so there's that. But I plan on doing a push pull test when I can get it back. Just odd Firestone didn't mention anything when it was getting aligned, as they usually point out stuff.