O2 sensors are driving me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been dicking around with O2 sensor issues for the last week. I originally had a P0135 code. I swapped sensors between bank 1 and 2 to verify the malfunction and it moved. Made perfect sense that I just needed to change the O2 sensor. Now I'm getting a code of P2240 and can't find anything wrong or any decent advice on troubleshooting. I'm thinking it must be something simple but can't figure it out.

Anyone else see a P2240 or have any ideas? The wiring all looks good. Solid connections and nothing strange. This fault is for a bank two sensor and didn't show up until after I swapped the bank 1 sensor. I'm stumped...

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As Joe mentioned, please post your modifications so we can help troubleshoot your issue.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
justcozz

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only mod that should have any effect on this would be the CAI (I've got the K&N) or a 5 star tune. I'm still running stock exhaust and have returned the tune back to stock to no avail.

So far I've removed and reinstalled/ replaced both upstream sensors as detailed above.
- Checked all wiring (physical inspection + cleaned and reinstalled connectors)
- Cleaned air filter
- Cleaned MAF
- Returned tune to stock
- Complete physical inspection of all wiring and hoses on engine. (trying to rule everything out)
- Disconnected the negative battery terminal for 30+ minutes to make sure any KAM is reset.
- Driven through a couple tanks of gas to rule out bad fuel or additives being an issue.
- Cussed a lot...

I don't put additives in fuel, stay on top of normal maintenance issues and keep the truck fairly clean in between hammering it off-road. Like I said, this one has me stumped and I'm wondering if it's a deeper wiring issue? I'm leaning away from it being wiring related, since everything was good until I changed the opposite sensor. The new fault code is really what has me stumped the most. I also can't find anything more detailed on the fault code besides the definition that is linked above. I don't really know what a "positive control circuit open" is. Sounds like something lacking a ground but the wiring and connectors all look good. I'd ring it out if I had a schematic but I haven't found one yet.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That does sound tough. I agree, the description seems like there is s missing ground.

Have you cleared the code and it keeps reappearing? Maybe water in the O2 sensors tail plug? Add some electrical grease.

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.

TRAIN HORNS!!! Thanks to Hornblasters.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=801448

OP
OP
justcozz

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might try cleaning the connector out again this evening and then adding a bit of grease to rule that out. I cleared it multiple times and it just keeps coming back like a zombie.

Who knew a simple issue could be such an asskicker?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are a couple links I found with some possible options.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1192152-trouble-code-p2240-p2241.html

Did you replace the O2 sensor? If it jumped from bank 1 to bank 2 after you swapped them then I agree it makes sense that the sensor might be bad. After replacing the "bad" sensor in bank 2 you are still getting the P2240?

Nvm. I missed your last post with mods and actions took.

What's your mileage at? Out of warranty?

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes it is best to bite the bullet and pay a ford dealer to diagnose the problem. Chasing your tail and throwing parts at a problem can end up costing more in the long run, plus it gets very frustrating. As you said you have done the common sense things and the problem still exists so the choice is yours to continue down this path or have a professional take a look at it. Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
justcozz

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at about 50K and out of warranty for something like this. Upon further inspection I'm doubting it's electrical but could be wrong. I'm guessing it's something dumb like a split line that I can't see.

Looks like it's finally time to install the long tube headers that have been sitting on my garage floor for months. I figure I'll stumble upon the problem while everything is apart or I'll take it to a pro once I'm done if I still can't solve it. I got the schematic and the troubleshooting charts for this problem and everything I've checked is fine.

I'm not going to start throwing more parts at this thing on my dime yet. Thanks for the input guys!