Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Not a fan of the 10 speed Tranny

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Laynrockers07, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Pyro3601

Pyro3601 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

So we run the same trans in the cheby/gmc truck. Thats a common complaint. There may be software updates available for it. But they ultimatly always seem to shift weird. as stated they smooth out a bit once warm. I have been through many of the 10s looking for issues. They are for the most part built solid. Prolly cuz ford designed em and GM does the programming for them I think. If I can remember back to my training on these units. Wait till the next unit gm/ford get in bed together for. They will shit good, programming done by ford. But they will be unreliable like the GM 6 and 8 speed units. As generous motors designed em....

Go see you dealer. Might be a software update! Good luck!

2. dewalt

dewalt FRF Addict

No complaints on a 17. Skips 3 0r 4 smooth when you stand on it. Good package with the 3.5. Looks like paddles respond better in manual. Backshifts a couple of gears if running with cruise at 60 and pull into manual. But I have a gearhead since the start. Really driveable

Booth9999 likes this.
  3. Pacific Wheel

Pacific Wheel Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Who would have thought RAM would have the best tranny of the big 3 half tons lol. Not a fan of RAM but that ZF 8-Speed is legit!

4. Donovan

Donovan Full Access Member

I am shifting in manual nearly everytime I drive now. With sport mode. Tranny does feel like its going to fall on the fucking ground when I put it into D.

Another 45k of warranty though... (25 stock)

5. jabroni619

jabroni619 FRF Addict

Other than the occasional rough shift in sport mode during partial throttle, I think the transmission is great. It's never had a hard time finding the right gear.

6. moonjim

moonjim Full Access Member

A friend of mine has ZFG racing trans tune it hits every gear butter smooth and is extremely fast. No skip shift or missed gears.

7. pastorwug

pastorwug FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love the transmission, it's what sold me on this truck, plus the HP.
    My 2011 Jeep Wrangler JKUR had a 3 speed with a weak overdrive that was near useless. It made the engine cream between shifts and was terrible for towing a trailer. Only place it was useful was rock crawling.

Booth9999 likes this.
  8. NASSTY

NASSTY FRF Addict

No issues with mine currently @ 42K miles. I like it better than the 6 speeds I had in my 2011 and 2014.

FordTechOne likes this.
  9. Turbo95max

Turbo95max Full Access Member

Love the 10speed too. Only have about 10k miles and I was skeptical at first but I am happy. Shifts fine and smooth on regular driving and in sport mode shifts quick and aggressive.

Booth9999 likes this.
  10. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

How do you know when the engine creams? Does stuff drip out of the tail pipe?? :pimp:

GCATX, pastorwug and Booth9999 like this.