New raptor with bumps on paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsr3245

Reaction score
I picked up my Raptor a couple days ago and did a walk around to check things out. Found a couple things that I pointed out to sales guy, but nothing serious. The next day I was checking things over again and saw a small spot that had a bunch of tiny raised bumps. I’m assuming it’s dust under the paint.

I took it to a buddy that works at a shop and he said that it can’t be buffed or sanded out. It’s large enough that it would break the paint and I have to get the entire part repainted.

Just wondering if I have any options that I’m unaware of. Also, I’m worried that if I do get it repainted under warranty the color won’t be a perfect match.

Just wanted to get some other thoughts on the issue. It’s minor, but I’m OCD and want to get it taken care of before ceramic coating is done.

4DE387AD-81A8-43CF-A659-71074AFE85E0.jpeg

OP
OP
Jsr3245

Jsr3245

Reaction score
Thanks Wheelman55! I’m taking it up today so they can have a look. Does It look like something got on the truck before painting or could it be something else? Don’t know too much about this stuff, so I’m just hoping it’s not something more serious.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wheelman55! I’m taking it up today so they can have a look. Does It look like something got on the truck before painting or could it be something else? Don’t know too much about this stuff, so I’m just hoping it’s not something more serious.
It’s paint over aluminum so it isn’t rust.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like hints of horizontal sanding lines right under it (or dirt ?) ?? My guess is that it was damaged on delivery to dealer and they did a half ass job of fixing it. Moisture trapped under paint and/or lousy quality thinner will both lead to blistering like that. Unlikely either of those happened at the factory. One great question to ask at those walk arounds is, "Has your dealership had to do any work to the truck, paint touch ups, dinged body work...anything beyond peeling plastic, adding fluids and airing down the tires since you received it?" Not that you'll always get a straight answer but if someone has knowledge they're reluctant to share, sometimes a direct question will expose it.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again bud. I saw the dealer and he said they can do the repaint there and it will come with a lifetime warranty. NowI just hope it won’t take too long.

Did they take pictures and submit it to Ford for a warranty claim or did they just agree to fix it without the warranty submission? That should tell you if they damaged it and knew about it, failed at fixing it, and then got caught.

I’m going through the denied warranty claim process right now on a 2019 agate black raptor. A lot of waiting around waiting to hear something

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they take pictures and submit it to Ford for a warranty claim or did they just agree to fix it without the warranty submission? That should tell you if they damaged it and knew about it, failed at fixing it, and then got caught.

I’m going through the denied warranty claim process right now on a 2019 agate black raptor. A lot of waiting around waiting to hear something
On my 2018 there was a slight paint flaw. The dealer offered to fix it right away, without going to Ford warranty.

OP
OP
Jsr3245

Jsr3245

Reaction score

That sucks bud. No I didn’t talk to the warranty department yet. I showed the guy who sold me the truck and he said to come in Monday and they’ll take care of it. I hope they don’t give me any grief. It has less than 50 miles, plus I showed him some of it the day I picked it up. I said I’ll see if I can buff it out first and if not get it fix under warranty. I guess I’ll see tomorrow.

I did see what looks like touch up paint on the steering wheel stripe. I think the dealer scuffed a small spot and tried to cover it. It’s barely noticeable, but I’m ocd and except a perfect condition truck if it’s brand new. They did have to trade with another dealership to get my truck, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that these things happened there.

I’ll post an update tomorrow. Let’s hope that things work out for the both of us.