New Motortrend Death Valley Raptor video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2-day route that takes us by almost every place in that video, and even some BETTER ones! We just did it back in November, and I've been too busy/lazy to finish the video we took for it.

Sounds like another trip may be in order... Jarrett was going to join me last time, but had to cancel last minute because of a sick child.

Might be a tad cold right now, but May would be a great timeframe! Best to limit to 5-6 trucks, to avoid attention (national park roads) and to keep things moving.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've been through there 4 times now and have a pretty standard route that I have put together. The last 2 times I started in Ballarat through Goler and out to Furnace Creek for the night. Then Titus to Scotty's and out to the Race Track. I have stayed over night at the camp just past the Racetrack once and went down and back up Lippencott Mine Rd at night, by myself...that was a fun one! Then out through Hidden Valley over the pass out to 190.

I have 2 trails I definitely want to try...Steel Pass Rd off Saline Valley and Echo Canyon out of Furnace Creek. Have you been on either Matt?

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've done Lippencott (pucker city) and Steel Pass Rd.

Let me tell you... Steel Pass Rd. was EXTREMELY difficult, with many close calls with inches to spare to the body work. I went through once without damage, don't ask me how, and I probably wouldn't tempt fate again, haha. I will say that I don't think a crew cab would make it, period. Some of the tight corners and break-over angles just would NOT work well with a SCREW. Might be possible, but would probably take a long ass time and tons of back-and-forth with spotters.

I don't think I've done Echo Canyon??? I've been all around though, so maybe it's just not a name I'm familiar with. The absolute BEST spot, in my opinion, is the peak at Chloride City. One of the best view I've ever experienced anywhere.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Steel Pass sounds like my kind of fun!! We should get a trip together for spring time.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have experienced spotters... it's doable and VERY fun (not to mention scenic). The only reason I had zero body damage was because of an incredibly experienced spotter!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love it out there.

And I remember that "solo" Lippencott adventure of yours all too well, Stoner. Still say you're freaking nutz ;D

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been through there 4 times now and have a pretty standard route that I have put together. The last 2 times I started in Ballarat through Goler and out to Furnace Creek for the night. Then Titus to Scotty's and out to the Race Track. I have stayed over night at the camp just past the Racetrack once and went down and back up Lippencott Mine Rd at night, by myself...that was a fun one! Then out through Hidden Valley over the pass out to 190.

I have 2 trails I definitely want to try...Steel Pass Rd off Saline Valley and Echo Canyon out of Furnace Creek. Have you been on either Matt?

Brian, I've been through Steel Pass and Dedeckera Canyon multiple times. You can see pics of one of the trips (President's weekend 2011) here:

2011-02-18 to 21 Death Valley Trip Photos by MagicMtnDan | Photobucket

Death Valley; Saline Valley; Eureka Valley; Saline Hot Springs; Steel Pass; Dedeckera Canyon; Eureka Dunes; North Pass; Berman Cabin; Presidents Day weekend 2011

Tightest fit was through Dedeckera Canyon where the Raptor just fits:

IMG_5088.jpg

We rescued some off road bikers who weren't prepared for the deep snow up on Steel Pass. We found them at dusk with the temperatures falling and they were preparing to spend the night without camping gear, up on the pass. We brought them down (2 of them rode down on the roof of Blair's Jeep Cherokee - none of us had any more room inside!):

IMG_5167.jpg

You can see them on top of the Jeep while we were driving down the mountain:
IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Here's our trip route:

PresWeekendDVTripactualroute.jpg

That video (Motor Trend trip through Death Valley and the Mojave Road) shows them bombing around Dumont Dunes. Later on it shows the Raptor climbing a trail and as it comes over you can see what was done to the Raptor (rpobably at Dumont) - a dished Raptor skid plate. Check out the evidence here from this screen capture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dished Raptor Skid Plate - Motor Trend.png
    Dished Raptor Skid Plate - Motor Trend.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 630
Last edited: