New Bird Slayer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

4BIRDDOGS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope all you guys are over the shock of the dreadful load capacity of our Raptors. Its a dirty secret Ford hopes is never noticed. You definitely wont find them bragging that 7 years of Raptor development resulted in a 13 pound improvement.
Just like you will not see any bragging over the 3mph and 6 mph bumper crash tests. The question is why do we spend millions of bucks on this type of nonsense. The only 3 & 6 MPH crashes I can think of would be from a runaway buggy at the grocery store.

Living in Illinois I have to have a front plate
I added this frame to cover up as much as I dare ,and keep the front of the truck as uncluttered as possible. The bumper had two drilled holes. No bushing, inserts, brackets or frame.
You can also see the awesome forward facing camera.

Attachments

• 20170114_141651.jpg
    20170114_141651.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 143

SamfromTX

Reaction score
One of the very best threads on car forums for years. Thanks again. Reading, and pretty much learning from, every one of your posts. Thanks.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should of received a bracket for the plate. It's been posted on other trucks. I'd request it from your dealer if it wasn't supplied. But then again I can't recall is MO required a front plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should of received a bracket for the plate. It's been posted on other trucks. I'd request it from your dealer if it wasn't supplied. But then again I can't recall is MO required a front plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri is a front plate required state.

mmp

Reaction score
4BIRDDOGS,

Thanks for your excellent posts. Why is there a discrepancy between the reported payload on your truck and the official numbers for SuperCabs? E.g. 899 Lbs vs 1000 Lbs? Are the options you put in the truck worth 101 Lbs?

The SuperCrew's official numbers for payload are 1200 Lbs. Wonder what the actual numbers would be for a fully loaded SuperCrew? Would anyone with a SuperCrew be able to post the numbers on their door?

Thanks!

OP
OP

4BIRDDOGS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Published weight capacity numbers are based on trucks built with the lightest weight options available.

Think cloth seats, no heavy spray in bed liner, no subwoofer, no tonneau cover, no tailgate step, no heated / cooled seats, no memory steering column, no large capacity fuel tank, no extra cameras, no moon roof. ....

Well you get the idea. They only test a truck equipped with a combination of options very few are likely to select.

The driver weighs 150 lbs max. Nothing else is in or on the vehicle. Not even a cup of coffee! Every pound added reduces the number printed on the sticker. Its not likely the vehicle in your driveway will resemble the truck that's advertised in the media you see or read.

Since each vehicle is different you have to look at the sticker on your truck.
Every time you choose another option that number will drop.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I ordered as bare bones as possible, except the subwoofer. Couldn't resist that one. The lighter the truck, the better it runs offroad. Thanks for all the great info on your truck and experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP

4BIRDDOGS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I have another look under the hood. We got to see some glorious sunshine today, pictures are better.
What you're seeing is a large 1 inch thick neoprene cover sitting on top of the engine. It sits directly below the 19"x30" hood louvers.

Also on the left side of the vehicle you can see the yellow oil dip stick. Closer to the front bumper is the tiny 1.25" oil fill cap. It has just enough blade protruding to grab it with your fingertips. You're not going to be able to grab a handful of cap. This thing is smaller than the one on my motorcycle.
The engine compartment hood has a very generous opening. No need to worry about bumping your head. You can get to everything with ease.
Reaching it to close it may be an issue for some.

Attachments

• 20170118_133740.jpg
    20170118_133740.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP

4BIRDDOGS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I have another look under the hood. We got to see some glorious sunshine today, pictures are better.
What you're seeing is a large 1 inch thick neoprene cover sitting on top of the engine. It sits directly below the 19"x30" hood louvers.

Also on the left side of the vehicle you can see the yellow oil dip stick. Closer to the front bumper is the tiny 1.25" oil fill cap. It has just enough blade protruding to grab it with your fingertips. You're not going to be able to grab a handful of cap. This thing is smaller than the one on my motorcycle.
The engine compartment hood has a very generous opening. No need to worry about bumping your head. You can get to everything with ease.
Reaching it to close it may be an issue for some.

The neoprene wraps around the oil fill hole. It has a Ford Performance emblem. Ecoboost is embossed on the side.