Need help with Lowrance and mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the HDS 7 Gen 2 Touch and the HDS 7M Gen 2 (non-touch) Does anyone have experience with these? I like the concept of the touch model but worry about the risk of having problems controlling it when the truck is bouncing around.

I plan to use the Outlaw mount, unless anyone knows of a mount that would make the unit closer to the passenger. My GF is short with short arms and will have a problem reaching the unit from her seat if I use the Outlaw mount.

Has anyone ever done a custom mount to position it in front of the passenger seat and then completely disable the airbag while the GPS is in place? This would also allow me to use one of the larger screen Lowrance models. Any suggestions on who I could contact about this?

Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

Bill

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This unit has a WiFi add-on that you can get. You can then use their app on a ipad (or other) to see and control the main Lowrance.

I have not got mine installed yet. I am still trying to pick out a mount that looks good and is mostly out of the way. I have only seen two mounts. The outlaw one and lge-ctsmotorsports. I liked the LGE one for the fold down when I am not using it. It would help to see around it. But their web site is not working right and cannot place a order. So I am still looking. the Outlaw one is nice but looks big. torn on these. Would love one that could be disconnected easily but strong enough for off roading.

WiFi
App

Hope that helps a bit.

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is my current setup. There is a HDS 7 in the center, and a HDS 9 touch in front of the CoDriver. Both work fine although the new touch is pretty sweet and easier to get around the menus. I have a HDS 7 touch in our chase dually, its been awesome.

As far as bouncing around and control...you can have issues no matter which one, but typically its a zoom in or out function you would be using and use just take a second, compose yourself and adjust it where you want it.

Once I had a codriver get so lost in the VHF we had stop so I could get us back on the channel we needed. LOL.

here are a couple of pics. The raptor and chase.

9028-dash-layout.jpeg

9029-hds-7-touch-chase.jpg

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the air bag is removed, you really dont want to "eat" your GPS if it went off. You can remove the GPS and reinstall the airbag when you wish. Although, while I have set up alot of the mods so we can go back to stock, it just never seems to happen. I just tend to run it how it is. With the race seats and 5 points I feel pretty good about the safety side of things.

The mount for the 9 inch was custom. It is a two part affair, we were running an HDS 7 in that spot and then upgraded to the 9...the only change was the switch out to the mount that comes with the unit.

Outlaw does many many things you dont see on the web site. You need to just tell them what you want, what you are trying to do and they often can fab it up for you or give you a direction to get it done.