Need help diagnosing this sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garrettmborn

Reaction score
I just bought a 2018 raptor has about 3000 miles on it. When I am stopped and begin to just lightly accelerate a deep rumble sound comes from the front driver side under the hood. It goes away if i accelerate harder. Sounds like the exhaust has a leak for a brief moment. Have looked at all the videos on funny raptor sounds like the waste gate and rattles from underneath doesn't seam to match.

It isn't tires rubbing. Dealership thought it was anti lock brake motor kicking on. He told me to bring it back when I had a few thousand miles on it because it has been doing it since I bought it. Only kicks in with acceleration not breaking. Feels like it is the turbo trying to kick in but just doesn't have enough throttle yet.

Plz help its driving me nuts... no pun intended

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
normal drive mode, 20mph... maybe 5th or 6th gear? Does this happen if you’re in sport mode? It sounds like the engine way underneath the power curve, as the truck is programmed to do in normal mode. sport has a 2k rpm minimum generally, so it doesn’t feel or sound as lazy.

kwickert

Reaction score
Subscribed...

My 2018 has the identical issue. 20K km & it only started recently with some colder mornings. Sounds like a deep rumble/crunch when accelerating under the front driver side, then goes away quickly. Doesn't seem to occur once the engine has warmed up after some driving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk