Need advice on engine cleaning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do the quarter car wash pressure washer thing to mine every other time I wash my truck. It looks damn good under my hood. Standard procedure for me to shoot the entire engine bay when I clean my truck. I was into detailing cars before I even had a drivers license. Now it's just a hobby of mine. I've got enough vehicles to take care of that I barely even have any time to clean but I get them done. My personal pressure washer works good on all my stuff too. Gotta have it for the Harley's(Harley and Buell).

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pressure washed my mustang every other week when it was my dd. Almost ten years old and still looks new with the factory battery. There used to be a product called cd2 engine shine, it was amazing stuff. Went on really wet but dried hard made the engine bay look like everything was cleared. I wish it was still around.

jdombrowski1077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard this from a ford mechanic and a couple other mechanics and I have also tried it. With a warm engine (not hot) spray entire engine area with 409 cleaner (be very genreous). Let stand for two minutes (no scrubbing needed) and rinse with a garden sprayer on a wider spray pattern (no straight stream). Pay attention not to soak the alternator or fuse box. All other electrical areas are ok since they are all sealed and waterproofed. I did this on my 09' F 150 and it worked excellent, much. ,much better than i expected. Simple green works just as well. All three guys clean the vehicles they work on this way and have never had any issues. It looks almost showroom clean. If there are any dirty spots left just repeat the process. Wish I took before and after pics.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
simple green I ran out of the adams but on the part you don't see much the simple green worked really good. I think I diluted it and sprayed the crap out of the engine. If I had a tough spot I used it full strength. this was after the sdbr it worked good. cleaned out the bugs out of the radiator like a pro.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our APC is 4x as powerful as Simple Green. :)

Obviously your results won't be as good when you just spray/rinse when compared to spraying/dwelling/agitating/rinsing, but it will certainly make improvements on a dirty engine bay if you aren't shooting for "perfect."

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple green works great, but avoid spraying it on aluminum parts because it can cause corrosion.