nav-tv front camera/vim bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, it appears that VIM would enable any video source that I have connected to my AV RCA jacks while the vehicle is in motion.

I'm still not clear about what input 1, output 2, and output 3 do.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those inputs will activate the cameras if supplied 12 volts. the output sends a 12volt if you were powering something off the nav tv unit

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, Noah.

I agree that they're a waste of the AUX switches. I have an extra AUX switch block that I plan on installing soon, so I may run those wires to an accessible location and eventually make my 2nd aux 1/2/3 correspond to input 1/2/3.

Output 3 would be for the VIM, so I could use that wire for +12V to a 3rd camera if I added one, right?

Thanks again!

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok got it all installed and put back together... well almost. I extended all the pigtails and ran them down with the USB cables to an easy accessible location for future use, but I didn't run the two wires through the firewall to tap into the camera wire on the hood yet.

There seemed to be a lot of real estate behind the LCD screen to mount the two camera modules, but you can see where I mounted mine in the attached photo. I cut off the plastic screw tabs from both modules, adhered 1/8" thick sheet felt to the backside of the modules, and zip tied them to a bracket above the CD drive. I also secured the main Nav-TV connector that plugs into the factory harness and wrapped the connector in adhesive felt sheet too just to make sure I don't have any tapping noises on the road.

Hopefully it works correctly once I hook up the front camera wires because I have all the instrument panel back together, but right now the rear camera activates when I turn on the front camera through the cluster. The rear camera does turn on properly when I double tap the rear defrost button, so I think it's just confused right now because the front cam isn't hooked up to the unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 58

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Connected the front camera wires today and everything is working pretty good. I'll give it an A- because it seems a little quirky at times.

1) I went for about a 120 mile round trip today and enabled the VIM to enter an address after about 5 miles. After turning the VIM back off, the GPS didn't properly locate me for about 20 miles. This could be the fault of the Nav/GPS and not the Nav-TV. In fact, maybe this is "normal" because it's actually the first time I've used the navigation since owning the truck.

2) If I turn on the rear camera by double pressing the rear defrost when the LCD is displaying the navigation map display, it won't turn off by double pressing the rear defrost again. The only way I found to turn the rear camera off is to turn the front camera on with the cluster and then when I turn the front camera off it will go back to the navigation map display.

Overall very happy with the product and TSC/Noah has been very helpful all through the process.

Noah - Do you happen to know what the 2nd unused USB port on the back of the factory LCD is for?

Last edited:

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read in another forum that's just an extra port. A cheap mod is to plug a USB cable extension and run it to the glove box for another USB input.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the front camera is on, the rear defrost will toggle between the two. if the front camera is off, then it will turn the rear camera on or off. double check the nav when you have time because mine will pick up my new location within 30 seconds or less. and the extra usb can be used as a secondary input

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if the front camera is on, the rear defrost will toggle between the two. if the front camera is off, then it will turn the rear camera on or off.
That's how it works for me if I activate the rear camera when my LCD is displaying the home/entertainment/climate/phone/info/settings/etc. screen. But if I turn on the rear camera when I have the navigation map active, I can't turn it off. The only way I found to turn it off is to activate and deactivate the front camera... or just shut the truck off all together. I'm not that worried about it; I just wont turn on the rear camera when I have the map screen active.

The Car Stereo Company said:
double check the nav when you have time because mine will pick up my new location within 30 seconds or less.
Will do!