Mysterious problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys….I´m only putting 95octane in it constantly :-D I had 98 octane and 100 octane once…I also had E85 once…very bad.

But honestly, what else do you want to throw in your engine but a 100 octane to somehow clean it?! :-D

Ok so no codes and truck does not want to start...it is either lazy and a late sleeper or a fuel air or spark issue...I am still leaning towards fuel...

Do you run the stock tune Oran aftermarket tune?

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you refuel your truck the fuel vapors are supposed to be trapped and absorbed by a charcoal canister. Then, after you start the vehicle, this trapped vapors are purged back into the engine in a controlled manner. If the purge valve sticks open, the refueling vapors can pour into the air intake and flood the engine, making starting difficult. It's called "On-board Vapor Recovery System"
My first guess would be -- after making sure all the evap and vacuum hoses are in place and the electrical connectors seem to connected -- check the operation of the fuel vapor valve assembly part # 9L3Z 9E730 and the canister purge valve.
TSB 12-3-10

Last edited:

Ingot SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High ethanol content in the fuel will cause interimittent cold start problems: longer then normal crank times with low outside temperatures and vehicle has been sitting overnight. Usually have to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and crank engine 15-30 seconds then will finally start and a lot of white smoke will come out the exhaust due to unburnt fuel. The ecu is able to run with a certain percent of ethonal in the fuel but with different fuel stations and different fuel processing facilities that amount my vary. I would see if ford has an updated pcm software flash that may correct the ethonal tolerance.
You will also have poor idle on cold starts and no fault codes.
Could also be vapor lock as posted by TheJoker

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think that this is the cause of the problem, but it may be making it harder to start than it would otherwise. Do not put you foot on the gas pedal when starting. The CPI knows what the engine needs for start-up better than your foot, and you are confusing the matter by pressing the gas pedal. I think it's why you smell gas.

Intermittent problems are notoriously hard to diagnose, and one that's temperature sensitive can only make diagnosis even more of a challenge. Given your climate, I think it would be quite prudent to install an engine block heater. With temperatures like you've described, this seems like a gimme to me.

OP
OP
GermanRaptor

GermanRaptor

Reaction score
I don't think that this is the cause of the problem, but it may be making it harder to start than it would otherwise. Do not put you foot on the gas pedal when starting. The CPI knows what the engine needs for start-up better than your foot, and you are confusing the matter by pressing the gas pedal. I think it's why you smell gas.

Intermittent problems are notoriously hard to diagnose, and one that's temperature sensitive can only make diagnosis even more of a challenge. Given your climate, I think it would be quite prudent to install an engine block heater. With temperatures like you've described, this seems like a gimme to me.
as I wrote earlier I didn´t have my foot on the pedal when I gave the raptor the first try in the morning. the video on my phone was to long so send it to the computer thats why the first start is missing. The first try is always the same - turn the key, let him crank....nothing happens, he´s not firing up. The manual says if you have start problems and u have to try more than once to start the car push the pedal at least 1/3 while cranking....

So to bring him to life after he died or even didn´t fire up at all I have to push the pedal to fire him up. And as you can see on the video it does not help instantly...

A block heater for 41 °F temperatures is not an option for me....this is a truck...he should deal with that easily.

The raptor has not only starting problems....it seems as the whole management is kinda confused....the average fuel consumption is way higher then normal since he has the starting problems and the normal driving and cruising feels somehow rough when accelerating...it seems he has a problem but can´t deal with it.

Last edited:

jdubracing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that there are a lot of threads already regarding cold starting issues and so on. But I really hope that someone has an idea…

I´m from Germany and I drive a 2010 5.4 Raptor. Its hard here in Germany if you have a problem to go to a Ford dealer. They just standing and looking at the truck as it was a thing from another planet. So its a bit tricky here to find someone who's really able to help you with the beast.

My problem is really mysterious and it makes me freakin´out. Mostly when its colder than 5 degrees outside my truck won't start gently when he sits overnight. I turn the key and it cranks and starts with really poor idles. When I´m lucky he keeps running and comes down to normal idle in about 15-20sec.
If I´m unlucky the engine dies right after starting it. If he died I have to give him at least 4-6 tries with the foot on the pedal to get him back alive.

A big chunk of smoke is coming out of the exhaust and it smell of fuel really bad. I´m not an expert but for me it looks like if the engine is basically drowning in the morning. For some reason the injection puts way to much fuel in all 8 pots.

The mysterious thing is - that there is no failure code, no warning lamp - nothing. A friend of mine has an american shop and has a lot of skills with different american cars being a mechanic. But he has no point to start with. Everything seams alright.

We thought maybe the evap system has a failure that the valve does not shut down properly so the fuel vapors not only get soaked in the engine over night but fuel as well. all the sparks are alright, all pressures, all sensor data are alright…no real issue recognizable.

I checked my vin for possible updates or recalls - nothing.

I use different gas stations. I use 95 octane fuel.

I really don't know what to do……hope u guys can help me out.

Here is video where u can see whats going on: http://vimeo.com/84893400
I’m having the exact problem with my 2010 5.4 Raptor, anytime it’s below 25 degrees F. Just bought it a month ago, seller said use 91 octane fuel. I downloaded the manual this morning, it says use 87 octane. Now I’m researching octane, it sounds like running too high octane will cause hard to start when cold. Not sure if this is the problem, but I’m running the tank below 1/4, then filling with 87 octane. I’ll post in a week if this helps.