GEN 2 My only complaint after 1000 miles - Mushy brakes on new 2019 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the ride in my new 2019 Raptor, just love everything about the truck except 1 thing.

The brakes.

They just feel "mushy".

I'm not even sure that I could lock the tires on my Raptor without literally standing on the brakes.

The factory brakes on my 2011 FX4 were WAY stronger.

Anyone else think that the brakes on the gen2 Raptor are weak?

I've seen a few posts about the Raptor's brake lines being made out of some kind of tubing that "swells" when you brake hard and the solution being to change the brake lines to solid steel or braided steel lines?

How hard is this to do? Who sells a brake line kit for the Raptor?

subterfuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that the first day I drove it but I have gotten use to it and it has never ever been an issue. After coming from Raptor Assault a few weeks ago. If you believe what those guys have to say.. the truck was built to use left foot breaking while driving off road. So that is probably why it is that way but if you plan to keep it on the street, you could upgrade them. 2 cents...

Last edited:

EPHsurgeon

Reaction score
I agree. Brakes suck for a 70k+ vehicle! Not quite ready to sink 5-6k to upgrade. It’s not like they are terrible, just think we deserve more

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Performance has plenty of experience making "crisp" brakes and easily could have done that if that is what was best for offroad use.

In offroad applications, "mushy" provides greater modulation and control in low grip situations where a driver is limited to 10 or 20% of the braking force seen on pavement.

The Raptor is an offroad focused design and is why it has brakes setup for offroad use.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love the ride in my new 2019 Raptor, just love everything about the truck except 1 thing.

The brakes.

They just feel "mushy".

I'm not even sure that I could lock the tires on my Raptor without literally standing on the brakes.

The factory brakes on my 2011 FX4 were WAY stronger.
I had a 2011 and a 2014 FX4 both had 34.5" mud terrains that weighed 77 lbs. each and the brakes felt about the same as as they do my 2017 Raptor. Compared to my other ride those brakes are great for a heavy truck.
I also have a 92 Bronco that only has rear anti lock brakes and they are horrible. You have to be gentle enough on the pedal to not lock up the front wheels but firm enough to get some stopping power from those dinky rotors, calipers and rear drum brakes.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor is not a sports car. Brakes that feel crisp and firm on the pavement just lock up constantly off road and just ride ABS.

I bet you wish it had less suspension travel also.

I haven’t experienced that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Palmetto_Raptor

Palmetto_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor is not a sports car. Brakes that feel crisp and firm on the pavement just lock up constantly off road and just ride ABS.

I bet you wish it had less suspension travel also.

Nah... Suspension is fine. In fact, the ride is incredible for a truck, it rides more like a luxury sedan that can somehow easily eat up potholes without making you spill your coffee.

Just seems odd that the ride would be so incredible but the brakes would be so mushy. Suspect it's what some are saying that maybe the brakes are set up like that on purpose.

Question is, since my truck will be a mall crawler 99% of the time, I was hoping their might be a simple way to change the brakes more like what you get on a regular F150.

Or it may as one person said, be the big tires. My 2011 FX4 did not have tires on it like the Raptor. If this is what it is then it makes me think the brakes need upgrading.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 17" rims really limit the brake options. Upsizing to 20" rims will give you a lot more room to work with and many people who upgraded have gotten that firm feeling they are looking for. There are several vendors on this site that can set you up.