My On and Off Road, Online and Offline GPS Solution. (The ongoing saga)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, so you're out in the boonies where there's no cell service and no internet access. How does your tablet continue to work ("offline")? Does it have a GPS satellite receiver?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, so you're out in the boonies where there's no cell service and no internet access. How does your tablet continue to work ("offline")? Does it have a GPS satellite receiver?
Yep, its got a full blown GPS chipset built right in. And in the testing I've done so far, its proven to be at least as accurate as the Lowrance was (using the internal antenna).

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a great example of why I chose a tablet/general solution over a single purpose unit like the Lowrance:
OBDII Dongle for Android - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I just ordered the dongle for $20, and will buy the software for $5 when it arrives. With this combo, in theory, I should be able to customize a dashboard (or three) to display on the tablet screen with more info about what's going on with the truck than I can handle.

Basically, if this proves out, this "mod" would get us 2010 guys everything the 2011+ guys have in their instrument panel displays, and then some.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you give some comments on your solution (I see you do not have the OEM nav in your Raptor) vs the current 2012 OEM Nav offered? Thanks in advance. Stephen

I have a 2012 w/ nav, so I'll throw my opinion out there. I don't run the same setup as BigJ, but run something similar.

There is no comparison between the two when offroad. The stock nav lacks two critical features for offroad use:

1) The stock nav does not allow importing or exporting of waypoints or tracks, which really limits your planning and sharing options.

2) The stock nav also does not offer any type of offroad basemap such as topo or satellite, which basically means you have nothing to navigate via.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Basically, if this proves out, this "mod" would get us 2010 guys everything the 2011+ guys have in their instrument panel displays, and then some.
J, I am REALLY liking where this is going. This sounds like the solution I am looking for. Thanks for all of the hard work and research you have put into it. Looking forward to seeing it in action in April!!

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
It is NOT an on road navigator. You can't punch in an address, press go, and have it give you turn by turn directions.

Did google disable this on tablets?? You should be able to use google maps with dictated turn by turn directions, street view, etc etc. You will need to tether it to your phone's data but it will use very little as you can now cache maps on your SD card.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did google disable this on tablets?? You should be able to use google maps with dictated turn by turn directions, street view, etc etc. You will need to tether it to your phone's data but it will use very little as you can now cache maps on your SD card.
Whoa a sec... crap sorry if what I wrote was confusing. The part you quoted was in reference to the Lowrance unit, not the tablet/android solution.

Having said that, you're absolutely right regarding Google and turn by turn *IF* connected to the internet somehow. I've purposefully avoided that part of the discussion because I personally do not want to depend on online solutions. I love using them when I have internet access, don't get me wrong. But I also want something that works without a connection, so that's been the framework for my entire effort here.

Hope that helps clarify and again sorry if I confused anyone.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another advantage of this tablet solution: Using this software, I am able to remove all DRM restrictions from my legally purchased iTunes videos. Using this free software, I can play those converted videos/TV shows/movies on my tablet. And using Sync via BlueTooth, I can listen to them thru the truck's stereo.

Bottom line? I've got a complete off line movie/TV show watchable library for my 3600 mile Texas round trip!

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Great stuff J!
Sorry for misunderstanding earlier. The only thing about the offline turn by turn GPS systems is that you have to update them and no system will come close to Google's database in the us. I definitely do see a need for it, especially if you plan on heading down Baja etc. Do you get the overland journal? They had an article a few articles ago highlighting some software. A lot of it was windows based but ill see if I can find the article as they had to have a tablet section.

I have been looking for that m4p software forever! Thanks!!
Cheers,
Austin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup you're right that you need to keep it updated Cine, but the cool thing is that's easily done. It can even be set up to update automatically when WiFI connected.

Check out Sygic. It uses the same maps TomTom does, and they update their Canada, US and Mexico maps every year. For free ;)