My ford story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
In 1 year and 9 months you only put on 3314 miles on a new truck? That's impressive. I would get it fixed up and sell it. Maybe buy a new one.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Correct, it's barely driven especially recently. I'd rather have ford just replace it at this point with what I consider is a reliable one however it's like talking to a robot explaining this one isn't.

The Real Coolbreeze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With SOOOO many different problems all at once, and being a "repeat" owner, I would think that your dealership would involve Ford, and someone in the the food chain would say something along the lines of "Hey, that particular vehicle is a bit embarrassing to us. We would like to trade you for a like item truck so we can look that garbage over real good and then shred it so nobody else sees it".... Have you started moving up the food chain?

I know that mfg's have a good bit of leeway on how they handle these things. Long story short, I had a Toyota pickup that the engine failed on, in a way that it should not have, (a failed freeze plug that listed as a part which could not fail, but did fail, which then drained the motor and seized it), and Toyota Corp had the dealership replace the entire engine while covering all my losses... BTW, I was not even the original owner. I was just a young GI with a three year old SR5 that I really liked that failed on me while I was traveling...

I would assume the Ford would be able to love on you the same way.

OP
OP
Reaction score
About a year ago I contacted ford customer service to start a case asking to take it as high as they can up the chain. They reviewed it, so they say, and it didn't qualify for anything. I gave up. I haven't really pressured the dealership at all since it's not there fault. I actually feel bad for them since warranty work doesn't pay well. I did have a brief conversation with me mentioning I should try to lemon it however they didn't want involvement as it would sound like they were coaching me. I respect their decision though. After all the dealership didn't build it, they're just stuck working on it. I opened up another case with ford customer service yesterday to see if they have any change in mood this time. We'll see after 5 business days or less with a decision. I submitted some of the information to a lemon law attorney but it was decided to be put on hold until ford comes back with their decision first. They seemed to want the case if it's denied since ford ends up paying the fees anyways.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Very odd for a freeze plug to fail in any way. I'm assuming it totally fell out causing an instant rapid fluid loss? I've only seen them rust through but that's on much older vehicles not 3 year old ones.

The Real Coolbreeze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very odd for a freeze plug to fail in any way. I'm assuming it totally fell out causing an instant rapid fluid loss? I've only seen them rust through but that's on much older vehicles not 3 year old ones.

Exactly.... which is why Toyota said "that's not supposed to happen, so the warranty (which i didn't have) isn't applicable. We'll just make this right.

And yes, it actually fractured. Half stayed in, the other half was just gone, I was on a pcs move, had the wife, the kids and I were on the hiway in AZ, it was way too hot to stay put, pre-cell phone era, not pushing anything hard and ****, big cloud of smoke as it dumped itself out the right side of the block.. So I drove us out knowing that I was trashing the motor in the first nice truck I'd ever owned and that I wouldn't be able to afford to get it fixed. .. It could have been really ugly but in the end it left a pretty good taste for me.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Wow. You were really lucky. Not sure how much toyota engines costed back then but in the last ten years or so, with the engines I've price checked, are out of this world expensive if purchased from toyota.

coldvter

Reaction score
Ok, at the risk of being a ****, just gotta ask. Had the truck for over 2 years, about 4000 miles on it, don’t want to sell, you want Ford to buy back, it’s apparent they won’t, what exactly do you hope to do here?

OP
OP
Reaction score
I don't think that question is being a **** at all. Just wondering if anyone else has feedback on if others thought there truck was a lemon. I'm aware of the laws which vary state to state. I know I've met the 30 days out of service in the first year of ownership even though my repair orders say otherwise. Which I think is the hold up however the truck was obviously broken before dealership had access to it for repairs though. Their possible service history. How hard ford fought back, if at all and/or how long. When I talked to ford yesterday they didn't really care if I sent the formal paperwork in or not but I still sent it in anyways. They claimed this could be resolved with just a simple case review. Is this true?...that I don't know. Totally different manufacturer but I know a friend who had a BMW that the back-up camera had a very intermittent problem where the screen went blank. 4 attempts later the problem still persisted. Qualified under lemon law since it was 4 attempts. Sent paperwork in, few days later, here you go, pick a newer one off our lot. It was that easy of a process with the only problem being the back-up camera, seriously? At least her's could be driven to the dealership every time.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
F150s are pretty good overall. You just happened to get one with a lot of problems. Just fix them and it'll be fine long term- at least until the motor starts to show it's age. Gas turbos ain't exactly know for super high mileage dependability, especially the "high output" ones.