Musty A/C Odor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the AC odor problem on both my 2015 lariat and again with my 17 Raptor. I only notice it in Vegas summers when the truck has been sitting in the sun all day. It kind of smells chemical, maybe hot plastic leaching into the AC vents

raptor ghost

Reaction score
smells bad for the first two mins. I did the fresh air yest with half a can of lysol and left the cabin air filter out. smelled like ass this morning even before starting the truck so i think some was still sitting around the filter. changed filter a week ago-very moldy and filthy.

Will try lysol in the cabin as well today.

i may be washing the truck too often and not running the fan on max

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC mold/mildew smell is very common on BMW, Honda, Toyota, etc etc. We use Frigi-Fresh at our shop. Works great but smell will come back eventually if you don't figure out the source of mold/mildew. With any AC odor eliminator make sure you spray it into the intake side of the vents, not the vents in passenger compartment.

Some things you can try to help get rid of or prevent mold/mildew:

Make sure drain tube isnt clogged
Run your heater with AC on sometimes
Charcoal activated cabin air filter
turn off AC a couple minutes before shutting off engine

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC mold/mildew smell is very common on BMW, Honda, Toyota, etc etc. We use Frigi-Fresh at our shop. Works great but smell will come back eventually if you don't figure out the source of mold/mildew. With any AC odor eliminator make sure you spray it into the intake side of the vents, not the vents in passenger compartment.

Some things you can try to help get rid of or prevent mold/mildew:

Make sure drain tube isnt clogged
Run your heater with AC on sometimes
Charcoal activated cabin air filter
turn off AC a couple minutes before shutting off engine

The latter is what was recommended in addition to lysol the outer/intake vents on a decent youtube video I saw...turn off AC and run system fan on high with recirc off for the last mile or two. Seems to help.