MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s good info.

Here are some tidbits that may or may not be helpful to you.

I can tell you the maximum allowed boost is decreased slightly over stock on an MPT 93 PRX Tune.

From what I understand the ecoboost has a tough time with preignition and detonation and the limits to tuning is as much about running into detonation, particularly under load, than it is about the limits of the turbos or the fuel system.

Lars from Gearhead says he has a unique approach to tuning where he drops the boost back to the mid 17s and the ECU timing adjustments are made on the fly by adjustments that he makes to the predictive strategy.

There is an issue with adaptive cruise and tuning. It has something to do with throttle position and torque management in relationship to the computer making throttle adjustments to keep pace with the car in front. Less of a problem for 17’s than on 18s, but I had it happen with 5 star tuning on my 17, but they had super aggressive drive by wire settings.

Just all food for thought.

Yeah, that's about right. The max boost runs around 17-19psi at WOT. I've seen as high as 19.6, but the max boost seen depends on the Torque/Load targets, and it (boost/MAP) changes with the temp/air density. The ecoboost ECU doesn't target boost. It is as required to hit Torque/Load targets, but MAP has a "desired" value as requested by the pedal input and a max allowed value. They won't lay it all out in detail, but MPT (and the other "tuners") set the Torque/Load targets and the MAP max allowed a bit higher than stock and the max MAP allowed is usually attained. Then the throttle closes/adjusts to keep the boost at max allowed while still targeting the Torque/Load target. Even though the throttle is modulating in opening area, the thrust you feel is consistent due to the Torque/Load/MAP targets being relatively steadily maintained. Make sense?

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s good info.

Here are some tidbits that may or may not be helpful to you.

I can tell you the maximum allowed boost is decreased slightly over stock on an MPT 93 PRX Tune.

From what I understand the ecoboost has a tough time with preignition and detonation and the limits to tuning is as much about running into detonation, particularly under load, than it is about the limits of the turbos or the fuel system.

Lars from Gearhead says he has a unique approach to tuning where he drops the boost back to the mid 17s and the ECU timing adjustments are made on the fly by adjustments that he makes to the predictive strategy.

There is an issue with adaptive cruise and tuning. It has something to do with throttle position and torque management in relationship to the computer making throttle adjustments to keep pace with the car in front. Less of a problem on 18s, but I had it happen with 5 star tuning on my 17, but they had super aggressive drive by wire settings.

Just all food for thought.

Yep, all good stuff. The Ford ECU has a very robust ignition timing strategy. It has literally 100+ timing related tables that monitor and control every aspect of ignition. There's so much information available that it isn't practical to include it in a post. There's also no single reference source that explains it all start to finish. It is a learned process. The ECU has a "High Degree of Freedom" protocol to allow the ECU to use one table or blend several tables to maintain maximum timing for efficiency without knock.

In fact, while driving the ECU will advance the timing in small amounts continuously until it detects a slight knock and then back it down just a tiny amount to maintain. It uses this process to also set the Octane Adjust Ratio (OAR), a multiplier that can be monitored via the OBD port as well. Those folks who say that 87 octane fuels will damage the engine are obviously wrong. However the max timing will be less and thus the maximum power and efficiency obtained will also be less.

Also note that all these processes can be manipulated by adjusting or "tuning" the tables so the ECU will whatever they desire. The knowledge and experience required to successfully do these things is why you usually pay $$$ for someone to "tune" your vehicle whether on a dyno or via emailed data logs.

It isn't magic, but it may seem like it to some who don't really know wtf is going on in the ECU.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently received an updated set of tunes. I had asked MPT to lower the initial throttle response, as I kept breaking the rear tires loose when pulling out and turning onto the main road. Way too touchy. They told me they gave me a more linear throttle response.
The new tune is much better behaved at low throttle positions. It feels like all the power is there; you just have to give it a little more juice, which is easier to regulate.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Bad news.

So I got the adaptive cruise control fail safe twice today.

Always on cruise, always in sport and always under load (up hill).

I set the logs for the second time to mike at MPT.

We shall see what happens.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't worry my 5 star tune is a mess too. We need actual experienced people in this community and not just guys removing speed limiters and cranking up the commanded throttle position. Theres a reason not one of these raptor tuners is on the motec, aem or syvecs tuners list.

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
Well Bad news.

So I got the adaptive cruise control fail safe twice today.

Always on cruise, always in sport and always under load (up hill).

I set the logs for the second time to mike at MPT.

We shall see what happens.

I never had an issue and went ahead and loaded the new tune just in case. I just completed a 500 mile roundtrip from Phoenix to Las Vegas. Used ACC most of the time and made sure to use it on the steep grades and had zero issue. I was in normal mode. I should have tried sport.

Keep us posted.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
..... We need actual experienced people in this community and not just guys removing speed limiters and cranking up the commanded throttle position. Theres a reason not one of these raptor tuners is on the motec, aem or syvecs tuners list.

Yes, I've discovered this as well. The top flash tuner in the industry, Cobb Tuning, is building their products and software for the Raptor. It isn't ready yet, so until then I've purchased the HP Tuners suite of software and hardware to get into tuning it myself. The current Raptor tuners (HPT, 5star, etc) are using HP Tuners software as well.

Not sure about whipple as they require the ecu be sent in to them, which is likely why they dispose of the stock tune. If their tune is loaded onto your ecu, then it is likely a brick to any other tuning software, even OEM Ford. This marketing technique is a big foul, but it has happened before with other tuners on other platforms.

I have the HPT tune(s) for my `18 Raptor and consider them the best of the available. I've never used the ACC, so I don't have any experience there.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've discovered this as well. The top flash tuner in the industry, Cobb Tuning, is building their products and software for the Raptor. It isn't ready yet, so until then I've purchased the HP Tuners suite of software and hardware to get into tuning it myself. The current Raptor tuners (HPT, 5star, etc) are using HP Tuners software as well.

Not sure about whipple as they require the ecu be sent in to them, which is likely why they dispose of the stock tune. If their tune is loaded onto your ecu, then it is likely a brick to any other tuning software, even OEM Ford. This marketing technique is a big foul, but it has happened before with other tuners on other platforms.

I have the HPT tune(s) for my `18 Raptor and consider them the best of the available. I've never used the ACC, so I don't have any experience there.

My good friend is a platinum level Cobb tuner. I keep bugging him to bug Cobb to hurry up.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My good friend is a platinum level Cobb tuner. I keep bugging him to bug Cobb to hurry up.

Yeah, I'm a certified tuner for the Ford Ecoboost and Mazda DISI and have had a few conversations with Cobb. I couldn't even get a target date out of them, so I'll just try and be patient with that and play with the HP Tuner and nGauge until then.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a certified tuner for the Ford Ecoboost and Mazda DISI and have had a few conversations with Cobb. I couldn't even get a target date out of them, so I'll just try and be patient with that and play with the HP Tuner and nGauge until then.

I keep thinking about buying the hp tuners software and tuning this myself. This 5 star tune needs to get off my truck now.
I know a guy who knows the guy who tunes the ford Le mans cars but I'm not sure how likely I am to get him to take time out of his day for a raptor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc